New Y30 4stroke starting problems when warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Y30 4stroke starting problems when warm

I have installed a new Yamaha30 outboard this year with electric start. Starts great when cold. Runs great and does not cut out. Also starts when warm if i start it up immediately after swithching it off. BUT......... if I switch it off and leave it off for 20 mins or so (as i do all the time when fishing) then try to start it it will not start. Or it will fire, run for 1-2 seconds then cut out. Any ideas?

Optional Information:
    Make (of engine): Yamaha
    Model (of engine): 30 HP
    Year: 2013
    Horsepower: 30

Already Tried:
    I have suspected the electric choke so I have made very sure not to push the key in when starting from warm. Problem still happens even if i do not push the key in.

Your motor does not have an electric choke. You can push the key in until the cows come home and it won't be doing anything.

This is an F30LA or F30LEHA, correct? If so, these models have fuel injection. Same as your automobile where you don't have to touch the gas pedal at all to get it started. Hot or cold.

If the motor is new, why not let the dealer handle the problem under warranty? If you go trying to make an adjustment based on information that has been provided by some yahoo over the internet you might be doing damage to the motor.

Comment

have you tried pumping the primer bulb to see if it is still primed up

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Your motor does not have an electric choke. You can push the key in until the cows come home and it won't be doing anything.

This is an F30LA or F30LEHA, correct? If so, these models have fuel injection. Same as your automobile where you don't have to touch the gas pedal at all to get it started. Hot or cold.

If the motor is new, why not let the dealer handle the problem under warranty? If you go trying to make an adjustment based on information that has been provided by some yahoo over the internet you might be doing damage to the motor.
        Yes, good point but the dealer will still charge call out and travel expenses to the boat and you can be sure the intermittent fault will not show up when the engineer is on board. What I was trying to do was get an idea of what the fault might be if it is one that has shown up elsewhere before. (But thanks anyway!)

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          have you tried pumping the primer bulb to see if it is still primed up
          Yes, absolutely.... when you are stuck out on the blue water you are definitely going to give it a squeeze!!!!!

Comment

I did not even know they made a injected 30.

Need to find out if it is a fuel or a spark problem.

May be like some of the larger motors that flood from rich vapors being cooked over into intake from heat .
            They recommend to run at idle for a few minutes before shutting down after hard/high RPM runs

Comment

Yes, 99yam40..... you are correct. I spoke to the dealer before I posted and they had never heard of the problem but I spoke to them again yesterday and Yamaha had just issued a recall on the fuel pump and are rplacing it with a more powerful pump.
              As you say, the fuel vaporises in the fuel line when it sits after a hot run and the current pump is not strong enough to flush it through.
              Recall is on Yamaha F30 2012/2013 models. The dealer has the serial numbers affected.

Comment

seems like if the pump was the problem then pumping the primer bulb would have pushed fuel to where it was needed and cranked up
                But we will hope that will fix your problem

Comment

Working...
                X