Importance of Loctite 648 on Speedi Sleeve installation 06 F250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of Loctite 648 on Speedi Sleeve installation 06 F250

Replaced corroded midsection yesterday on a 06 F250 and decided to also replace the oil pump since I was already going to be there. Realized last night AFTER I had installed the Speedi Sleeve onto the crankshaft and put the new Oil Pump back on that I FORGOT to use the Loctite 648 on the repair sleeve. The powerhead is back on the motor, but not bolted on yet..and all electrical etc is still not attached. Am I going to have a problem with the repair sleeve moving/slipping due to the lack of the Loctite? Would it be recommended to hoist the powerhead back up, remove the oil pump and existing Speedi Sleeve and replace the Sleeve with a new one installed with the Loctite? To do this now is just inconvenient, plus I have to wait for a new part...but if it were to fail after the job was complete resulting in catastrophic failure, or even just an oil leak, it is way beyond inconvenient..having to start over again completely removing a fully rigged powerhead. Any help on the importance/necessity of the Loctite would be greatly appreciated. Thought about this all night.....it is driving me a bit crazy!! Thanks in advance for any help!!!

If it where me I would do it now. I don't know if it is absolutely necessary, but loctite 648 is very stong and it won't move if it used properly, good insurance and peace of mine.

That brings me to another point. I use loctite all the time for bearings, bushings and sleeves. See so many people use it incorrectly. whatever you are putting together with loctite must be absolutely clean. Loctite is basically a "glue" and glue don't stick to oil or greasy parts. Use brake clean and wipe both parts with a clean paper towel and get them completely oil free. Then the loctite can do its job properly.

Good luck.

Comment

I feel your pain - if I found myself in that situation I would be unable to sleep...

but IMO you should relax.

The install is an interference fit - you had to force it on, yes? So its not going anywhere. As an "adhesive" the Loctite is purely "belt and suspenders".

The Loctite could serve as a "filler" if the shaft was severely pitted - but even worst case, how much oil could actually leak past? inconsequential.

Lets see what Rodbolt says.

Comment

me I use Loctite 518,cause I always have that.
        it is an interference fit and will most likely not slip. may seep a tiny amount of oil between the shaft and sleeve.
        that is the biggest reason I use 518,no leaks and it acts as a lube when pressing on the sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by jol1ymon View Post
          Thought about this all night.....it is driving me a bit crazy!! Thanks in advance for any help!!!
          I suspect that know what you should do. Unless you do what you know that you need to do it will always be in the back of your mind.

Comment

Thanks for all of the help! I did indeed have to use a decent amount of pressure with a rubber mallet to get it on....but it will ALWAYS be in the back of my mind if I don't dig back in and do it the right way. I guess the water is not going anywhere and it is a bit chilly anyway....better do do it right while I am at this stage...than regret it later....

Comment

Also...here is an image of the corroded exhaust....FYI....

Comment

How much interference between the shaft and sleeve and what size is the shaft? Anybody know off hand?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                  How much interference between the shaft and sleeve and what size is the shaft? Anybody know off hand?
                  This is a Yamaha. Not only is the information not known off hand it is not in the service manual. Yamaha likes to save SM pages.

Interesting that Loctite 648 is called for the in the Speedy Sleeve retrofit bulletin but Three Bond 1322 is called for in the production configuration collar installation.

Comment

And Rod uses 518. Assume it is a tight enough fit to starve the 518 of oxygen to make it set.

Comment

back in the day when I did my first sleeve there was no sleeve part # from Yamaha. had to do it the old fashioned way, with a set of micrometers and an SKF product manual.
                      used 518 on that one too.
                      look up the Volvo(or merc alpha/bravo) input shaft sleeve number. I do 30+ a year.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

This is a Yamaha. Not only is the information not known off hand it is not in the service manual. Yamaha likes to save SM pages.

Interesting that Loctite 648 is called for the in the Speedy Sleeve retrofit bulletin but Three Bond 1322 is called for in the production configuration collar installation.
                        Nobody got a set of calipers?? Rodnut should know doing them all the time?

Comment

Why would the parts be measured? There are no specifications to go by.

The Speedy Sleeve folks say to make sure the part to which the sleeve is being applied needs to be round. No definition that I can find as to what "round" means.

Comment

I own snap gauges,dial indicators several sets of micrometers and both digital and dial calipers. if you do it the old fashioned way you have to either remove the installing collar or dremel two flats for oil pump clearance. it is not hard you just have to use the tool twixt the ears.
                            SKF has an online product manual.

Comment

I would not worry. You used a mallet. Why did you use a speedy sleeve, presumably to stop an oil leak because the shaft looked dodgy? How bad was it will determine the level of your anxiety. A new seal won't move the sleeve. You may do more harm removing it to cause a significant oil leak.

Comment

Working...
                              X