Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

110 volt Electric motor repairable?? Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110 volt Electric motor repairable?? Opinions?

What ya think?

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

It's the electric motor to this oil less compressor: http://www.allpartsinc.com/assy-sub-...-z-a04714.html
    Scott

Comment

If my eyes are seeing properly it looks like the centrifugal switch came apart and buggered up the winding on the armature maybe.
      and the commutator looks burnt or corroded.
      did this go under water

Not sure what size and cost this whole compressor is, but $300 is steep for what that sub assembly is
      Last edited by 99yam40; 01-20-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        If my eyes are seeing properly it looks like the centrifugal switch came apart and buggered up the winding on the armature maybe.
        and the commutator looks burnt or corroded.
        did this go under water

Not sure what size and cost this whole compressor is, but $300 is steep for what that sub assembly is
        Close!! No centrifugal switch, never under water.

The actual commutator (all the little bars) BROKE OFF the shaft!!! That's all those little pieces on the paper towel! One brush snapped a piece off too.

Actually, the motor part is still available but for about $250.

This is a customers Craftsman, oil less compressor that seized up.. Most times it's the compressor itself that seizes..

Once I got all the broke parts out, spins fine!. The 15 gallon, 3HP compressor might be worth $100 running. The tank is good, made in 2004.

Scott

Comment

Only hope would be to find one that the compressor bit the dust so you could rob parts off of it if you do not want to spend a bunch of money

Comment

Yep. He's super busy ( I repair his chain saws, weed eaters, pole saw's, etc) and he used the compressor for blowing crap out of the saws..
            (The machines get beat to heck by his crew).

You can get a new Porter Cable, 6 gallon, 150 PSI new for $100. I suspect he'll do something like that... I already have two compressors and don't need anymore, especially oil-less...
            Scott

Comment

I think a brush was not making good contact and was arcing. Melting the bars off maybe, just a theory

he can always rig this 15 gal tank up with a new 6 gal to have more air if used in a stationary shop.
              unplug it from the 15 gal to carry elsewhere.
              but then the little 6 gallon unit will have to run longer between off/on cycles which might harm it.
              but it should not have to come on as often

always good and bad things to think about
              Last edited by 99yam40; 01-20-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I think a brush was not making good contact and was arcing. Melting the bars off maybe, just a theory

he can always rig this 15 gal tank up with a new 6 gal to have more air if used in a stationary shop.
                but then the little 6 gallon unit will have to run longer between off/on cycles which might harm it.

Oh yea..

I brazed up a failed (leaking diaphragm) water heater expansion tank (goes atop your water heater with pressurized air on one side, 2.5 gallon?) and put in a fitting to attach a female air compression fitting.

I can fill it with 150 PSI and for very small jobs, (blowing out a desktop computer, carry out to the boat, etc), and have enough air W/O dragging the compressor or hoses out..

I did recently attach all my old 3/8" broken air hoses together. I can now, literally, get to anywhere on the property (boat engine too) simply by plugging in this long a$$ hose.
                Works great, especially for big jobs where I need the big compressor to keep up..
                Scott

Comment

Oh yea..

I brazed up a failed (leaking diaphragm) water heater expansion tank (goes atop your water heater with pressurized air on one side, 2.5 gallon?) and put in a fitting to attach a female air compression fitting.

I can fill it with 150 PSI and for very small jobs, (blowing out a desktop computer, carry out to the boat, etc), and have enough air W/O dragging the compressor or hoses out..

I did recently attach all my old 3/8" broken air hoses together. I can now, literally, get to anywhere on the property (boat engine too) simply by plugging in this long hose.
                  Works great, especially for big jobs where I need the big compressor to keep up..
                  Scott

Comment

The motor would be on longer filling a larger volume because more air is used (that needs to be replaced) to drop the pressure to the switching motor back. This will make the motor hotter, even if it has a longer resting time.

Comment

Can't post anymore, mod keeps deleting my post... ?
                      Scott

Comment

Probably finally discovered no Yamaha outboard has such a compressor

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                          Probably finally discovered no Yamaha outboard has such a compressor
                          Pull a spark plug and hook up a hose, crank her up!!

No tanks to mess with either!
                          Scott

Comment

OK seems you are just trying to see if you can post now

Comment

OK seems you are just trying to see if you can post now
                              That other post wouldn't go thru W/O the moderator. I don't know why.

As for the thread, I posted as I've never seen a commutator come apart and thought it was worth posting.

I don't cook much so the "cooking thread" I'm not involved in and this was "mechanical"

The owner is apparently going to use the 15 gallon tank to tie into another larger compressor...

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X