F90 stuck anode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    If you you were able to get that much out of the anode "holes" do you think you may need to go deeper? Remove the jacket and inspect? Broken bolts are a valid concern...
    The anode on the side at the bottom had very little salt deposit so I have not pulled the exhaust cover. You also suggested I pull the t stat. That sounds like a good next step. I did run some stiff wire down through the water jacket and taped some tubing to my shop vac and pushed that in as far as it would fit. Looking in with a small inspection mirror I got the salt all out of the head area.

Comment

If the passages were blocked off then the sensor or switch that indicates overheat may not have been getting flow to monitor the over temp of the water, but should have seen block/head temp maybe

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

To add to the above, you may want to at LEAST do a citric acid flush or rydlem flush.

Usually, the lower cylinder water jacket and head are blocked up the worst(over time, use, heat from the engine cooks the salt to the innerds of the block, especially when turned off)..
        I am not familiar with a citric acid flush. The other I guess would be crc salt terminator . I have used muriatic acid in the past on my old Chris Craft manifolds. Do the products like salt terminator really work?

Comment

You can get yourself one of these borescopes for less than $100 Great thing for looking in your engine water passages.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076ZGRWKF/..._-ixvAbQ2TV3W6

Better than tearing everything apart and breaking a bunch of bolts off...

Comment

A scope that attaches to your smart phone is less than $50....

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
              A scope that attaches to your smart phone is less than $50....
              Good idea.

Comment

Search for rydlym marine descaler,
                read good things about it.
                not sure what you are seeing in your motor is just salt

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-IFM-Inspection-Megapixels-Semi-Rigid/dp/B076ZGRWKF/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1515552133&sr=8-9&keywords=handheld+endoscopic+camera

That scope in the US is 59.99.
                  Last edited by dray0151; 01-09-2018, 10:45 PM.
                  Dennis
                  Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by haybailkiller View Post

I am not familiar with a citric acid flush. The other I guess would be crc salt terminator . I have used muriatic acid in the past on my old Chris Craft manifolds. Do the products like salt terminator really work?
                    I did a search here (and with the NEW site), could not find it. Perhaps someone else has the link.

In any case, it's basically lemon powder mixed with water then pumped thru the engine. Some take off the LU, hook up a small electric pump hook to the water intake tube.
                    Then put a "catch container" under the engine, thermostat out, and let it pump away. Previous pictures of the results were very impressive.

Rodbolt (MT here), posted here as well it was used in navy.

An interesting video / post with pic's:

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...th-Citric-Acid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w_o5xB8ZFI

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-10-2018, 08:30 AM.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Search for rydlym marine descaler,
                      read good things about it.
                      not sure what you are seeing in your motor is just salt
                      This is upper anode hole. Mostly salt with some corrosion. resizesalt.jpg

Comment

What is a haybailkiller?

Comment

What is a haybailkiller?
                          I use to race champ karts ,which is a racing kart with a roll cage, and most tracks used hay bails to stop you when you were spun out or spun on your own. One track I went to the drivers were not kind to non local drivers and I got to meet several hay bails up close and personal. My son said , man you killing the hay bails ! So it stuck as my screen name on any forum I use.

Comment

resize2.jpg
                            Have you also removed and inspected the thermostat?
                            I pulled that today and cleaned block. The t stat is stuck open but blocked and will be replaced.
                            Last edited by haybailkiller; 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haybailkiller View Post

I use to race champ karts ,which is a racing kart with a roll cage, and most tracks used hay bails to stop you when you were spun out or spun on your own. One track I went to the drivers were not kind to non local drivers and I got to meet several hay bails up close and personal. My son said , man you killing the hay bails ! So it stuck as my screen name on any forum I use.
                              Man, that looks like a blast! Wish I had done some of that when I was younger. Didn't Yamaha build some carts or engines at one time?

Comment

If you you were able to get that much out of the anode "holes" do you think you may need to go deeper? Remove the jacket and inspect? Broken bolts are a valid concern...
                                There is no jacket to be removed my boy! No cylinder head cover. The head would have to come off.

Then the argument(s) can ensue about whether the head bolts are to be scrapped or retained for reuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X