X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason2tpa
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
    You may be looking for an issue where there is none (see my post above). Sort as a tangent to this, what do your plugs look like? All similar and healthy?
    I don't disagree with your input. No doubt older 2 strokes are known to run rich as burn through oil. However, my engine has been so well maintained through the years that I guess you could call it an abnormal older 2 stroke...in that it doesn't run overly rich and it doesn't burn through oil Haven't checked the plugs because the engine's superb performance contraindicates an issue with spark.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    If the engine is running good and the "slick" is larger than normal, it wouldn't hurt to pressure check the LU.

(No oil in the LU when checking)..

Leave a comment:

• DennisG01
    replied
    You may be looking for an issue where there is none (see my post above). Sort as a tangent to this, what do your plugs look like? All similar and healthy?

Leave a comment:

• Jason2tpa
    replied
    Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    All it takes is one cylinder not firing,burning the fuel running thru it to dump into the water to look like that
    No doubt about this ^^^. But in my case the engine is running at max performance, no drop of cylinder or miss firing.

Leave a comment:

• Jason2tpa
    replied
    Originally posted by panasonic View Post
    I take it that you have not noticed this before? Perhaps your prop shaft seal could be leaking a small amount...not enough to drip on the ground but enough to see when you put it the water. Might want to have a quick look at that along with the other suggestions.
    At the boat ramp there always seems to be a fuel/oil slick hanging around. I've noticed a slick around my engine at the ramp, but never this much and never this obvious the slick is coming from my engine. Can't say I could tell the difference between the look of a fuel slick and gear oil slick. Do you? Is pressure testing the gear box the best way to go about checking the integrity of the prop shaft seal?

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    All it takes is one cylinder not firing,burning the fuel running thru it to dump into the water to look like that

Leave a comment:

• panasonic
    replied
    I take it that you have not noticed this before? Perhaps your prop shaft seal could be leaking a small amount...not enough to drip on the ground but enough to see when you put it the water. Might want to have a quick look at that along with the other suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• DennisG01
    replied
    Since it's a 2-stroke, especially an older one, I would think this is pretty normal, no? They're not exactly known for being "clean burning", after all. I've seen this on many of my/family's 2-strokes. I think it would also be normal to be in an overly rich condition when first starting a 2-stroke, too.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 01-09-2018, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jason2tpa
    replied
    Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Your signature with engine info is now showing Jason.

As the engine seems to be running fine now, I'd keep an eye on it.

Perhaps check the spark plugs and the fuel pumps for slight leakage.

A failing fuel pump diaphragm may have seeped excess fuel into the crankcase and eventually into the water..

All good suggestions, thanks Scott.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Your signature with engine info is now showing Jason.

As the engine seems to be running fine now, I'd keep an eye on it.

Perhaps check the spark plugs and the fuel pumps for slight leakage.

A failing fuel pump diaphragm may have seeped excess fuel into the crankcase and eventually into the water..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-09-2018, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jason2tpa
    replied
    Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
    What is it? It does help.

Ah, my apologies. The change over to this new forum format no longer lists my engine specs. 1998 S115TLRW

Leave a comment:

• dray0151
    replied
    Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
    I think OP's other post was about a 1985 90ETLK don't know if this is same engine or not. He had carb problems on that.

Leave a comment:

• walleye1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jason2tpa
    started a topic Notice of Fuel Slick, Exhaust?

Notice of Fuel Slick, Exhaust?

Noticed this fuel slick immediately after cold start. Looked to be emanating from the exhaust. I couldn't tell if it was exiting as vapor or liquid before reaching sea water. Either way, it kinda concerned me. No signs or symptoms of any combustion issues while underway. Perhaps this slick represents fuel that was not ignited when I last ran engine on flush, which was 3 or 4 days ago. Any ideas, concerns, suggestions, etc?
Working...
X