Lockwire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dunno
    the CIWS gun system uses several miles(so it seemed) of lockwire. some individual some daisy chained through multiple fasteners. was a time when I was fairly good with a set of wire twisters.
    I still have a 5lb spool of ss lockwire.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      dunno
      the CIWS gun system uses several miles(so it seemed) of lockwire. some individual some daisy chained through multiple fasteners. was a time when I was fairly good with a set of wire twisters.
      I still have a 5lb spool of ss lockwire.

Individual aircraft systems, such as guns, hydraulic, flight control, landing gear, etc. are controlled by the vendor requirements as well as aircraft specific design. My experience was working with the latest generation of GE engines in the 80's, compared to previous generations of Pratt & Whitney engines. A lot of it had to do with going with self locking fasteners. And I think for B nuts on fluid lines, they found out that they actually remain secure when torqued down correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Bonding brushes are not motor specific. I can see them being used as a good tool to clean up the many grounding points that are used on Yamaha outboards. Outboards that may typically have more grounding issues than aerospace stuff. Bad grounds on outboard motors are right up there with fuel system problems as being leading trouble makers.

What they have to do with safety wires is that both are routinely used in aviation. This thread is more about aviation stuff than outboard motor stuff. Started with lock wire. But some aviation stuff translates over to outboard motor stuff.

If we did not have tangent stuff to talk about this time of year we might not have much stuff to be talking about.
        I took a better look at the picture and see the brush parts. Should have opened up the pic so it would be larger the 1st time, before posting (asking)what they were

Comment

I had to put on my Wal mart reading glasses to see them!
          Dennis
          Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
            I had to put on my Wal mart reading glasses to see them!
            It is hell getting old.

I can recommend a good magnifying glass to go with your Wally World spectacles. With an internal light.

For that fine print. Low contrast of course. Light brown font on a pale yellow background is good.
            Last edited by boscoe99; 3 days ago.

Comment

I think my gaseous expulsions are getting worse with age. Not all bad though. My dog has suddenly, with the onset of winter, decided to sneak onto my side of the bed before I get there at night. He gets grumpy and doesn't want to move. So I get in and work myself into the limited amount of space left. Just in the past couple days, I have realized one or two blasts and he is down and on the floor again.

Comment

The above!!!!!!!

It's another busy day.
                Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

Is that true? And I would have thought Military standards are greater than in general aviation. Hence my earlier insinuation.
                  Yes that is true...more modern engines case bolts are mostly just lock nuts now. But you will still find lock wire all over the aircraft different systems. We still wire lock some cannon plugs...they must have stock left over from 50 years ago. It is funny to see really old tech mixed in with really new stuff....

Standards are pretty much interchangeable between Military and Commercial. It's all mixed up together.

Boeing builds airliners and they also build fighters...

The guy in the video is working on 50-60's engines.

Comment

I suspect that military aviation standards are greater than general aviation standards but less than air transport aviation standards. At least that was my experience working with military air craft after having worked with air transport air craft. The air transport standards are governed by our FAA. Within the US military they seem to call their own shots.

I can see where the missions are more hazardous in the military and the operating personnel recognize they are taking greater risks in instances that the civil boys can't/won't/don't deal with. To fly a single engine fighter onto a carrier deck on a dark and stormy night a thousand miles from shore is going to entail some risk. Civilians expect no risk whatsoever.

Which is why they like young folks in the military. I never recognized any risk that I might have experienced when in the Navy. It was all just fun to a 20 year old lad being away from home for the first time. I was too naive to really know what was going on. Too stupid to be scared I guess.

Comment

yep, you can tell an 18yr old to charge that machine gun. a 40yr old wil go"yes, you in the back. 2nd row.

that skit goes back a bit how many remember?

Comment

I am not remembering anything about that , but I have had a few and need to go lay down

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          I suspect that military aviation standards are greater than general aviation standards but less than air transport aviation standards. At least that was my experience working with military air craft after having worked with air transport air craft. The air transport standards are governed by our FAA. Within the US military they seem to call their own shots.

I can see where the missions are more hazardous in the military and the operating personnel recognize they are taking greater risks in instances that the civil boys can't/won't/don't deal with. To fly a single engine fighter onto a carrier deck on a dark and stormy night a thousand miles from shore is going to entail some risk. Civilians expect no risk whatsoever.

Which is why they like young folks in the military. I never recognized any risk that I might have experienced when in the Navy. It was all just fun to a 20 year old lad being away from home for the first time. I was too naive to really know what was going on. Too stupid to be scared I guess.
                          How come Great White North is a derogatory term? ? Tangent on a tangent...hahaha

Comment

I guess some of the sensitive snowflakes consider it racist. I myself would consider things like asking race on all kinds of surveys and applications racist, and probably discriminatory. If we are Canadians or Americans then we are just that not Hispanic, caucasian or African American. I want a race category for German American then too so I can identify where I came from how about that. Maybe there needs to be a category for each nation?
                            Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                              I guess some of the sensitive snowflakes consider it racist. I myself would consider things like asking race on all kinds of surveys and applications racist, and probably discriminatory. If we are Canadians or Americans then we are just that not Hispanic, caucasian or African American. I want a race category for German American then too so I can identify where I came from how about that. Maybe there needs to be a category for each nation?
                              This resonates worldwide.
                              I see it pointless to call oneself a "country" "country", but "country" " religion" sometimes acceptable.
                              If you are a citizen of a country then you indicate your country first wouldn't you.
                              So you should call yourself American Whatever......., but I do see the dilemma in this.

I call myself unequivocally Australian although I also am of German origin (born in Hamburg) . I resent people over here calling themselves the religion first and almost reluctantly add Australian.

Comment

The White in Great White North refers to snow...but I think you all may know that.

Comment

Working...
                                X