Lockwire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockwire

Not much happening... so a lesson on lockwiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8

Reminds me of A&P school where we had to insert our hands into a box (barely able to get the hands in) and do some lock wiring. The instructor could always find great fault because it was all but impossible to do correctly.

Since it is slow, here are some more videos of useful and not so useful tips. Some of which might extend to boating or just our day to day lives of messin with stuff. All short and succinct enough not to cause undue boredom.

I had not heard of "bonding" brushes. Could be useful on an outboard motor, cleaning up ground connections.

http://www.eaavideo.org/category/vid...-homebuilders_

Comment

Good to hear from Boscoe. Thought he might be in limbo, frozen in a block of ice in N GA.

Cold as a titches wittie down here the past week.
      Last edited by pstephens46; 1 week ago.

Comment

Boscoe is alive. Just not well. Recovering now from being out of service with the stomach flu for the past five days. At least I lost a few pounds that I wanted to shed. Nothing could go down since it was all coming out. All orifices.

There was a time when I thought I might die. I hurt so bad it would have been OK if I did.

Also sick, sick, sick of this cold. Dammit.

Comment

Hang in there boscoe, had that crap too,, it be ok.

Comment

That jet engine sure has a lot of wire! Thought that fastening technique gone with the dinosaurs, haven't used that on anything for decades, usually on bad vibrating engines I recall. Obviously I am wrong.
            I thought modern machining methods, lock tight , spilt pins and locknuts replaced all that.

Comment

I would not like for anything coming loose on any plane I was riding on, so wire them all.

It really amazed me to watch how far wings tips moved during flight on those big airliners.

no need to be looking out the windows when way up in the air like that all you see is the wings in some seats

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                Boscoe is alive. Just not well. Recovering now from being out of service with the stomach flu for the past five days. At least I lost a few pounds that I wanted to shed. Nothing could go down since it was all coming out. All orifices.

There was a time when I thought I might die. I hurt so bad it would have been OK if I did.

Also sick, sick, sick of this cold. Dammit.
                Nothin' like a little case of stomach flu to flush out the old system!......

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  That jet engine sure has a lot of wire! Thought that fastening technique gone with the dinosaurs, haven't used that on anything for decades, usually on bad vibrating engines I recall. Obviously I am wrong.
                  I thought modern machining methods, lock tight , spilt pins and locknuts replaced all that.
                  No its still used widely used... especially on engines. I have done much wire locking over the year's and I find it a quite relaxing and satisfying thing to do...lol

But you are right Zen it was used way more with the old radial engine planes...else everything vibrate off.

The "Cable tie method" that he shows in the video is used more and more now.

Boscoe.. the bonding brushes are great, stick it in you drill and clean off a nice little round spot free of paint and primer for your grounding spots. Nice videos you found there.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    I would not like for anything coming loose on any plane I was riding on, so wire them all.

It really amazed me to watch how far wings tips moved during flight on those big airliners.

no need to be looking out the windows when way up in the air like that all you see is the wings in some seats
                    If they didn't flex they would eventually break off, think of the wing as a big diving board.

Comment

Reminds me of A&P school where we had to insert our hands into a box (barely able to get the hands in) and do some lock wiring. The instructor could always find great fault because it was all but impossible to do correctly.

Since it is slow, here are some more videos of useful and not so useful tips. Some of which might extend to boating or just our day to day lives of messin with stuff. All short and succinct enough not to cause undue boredom.

I had not heard of "bonding" brushes. Could be useful on an outboard motor, cleaning up ground connections.

http://www.eaavideo.org/category/vid...-homebuilders_
                      Military engines have been getting away from the need to safety wire bolts and nuts.

It's been a couple of years since I had to use these.

Comment

OK exactly what are those things and what do they have to do with safety wires?
                        look like hole saws to me.

are you talking about motors on flying things?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          OK exactly what are those things and what do they have to do with safety wires?
                          look like hole saws to me.

are you talking about motors on flying things?
                          Bonding brushes are not motor specific. I can see them being used as a good tool to clean up the many grounding points that are used on Yamaha outboards. Outboards that may typically have more grounding issues than aerospace stuff. Bad grounds on outboard motors are right up there with fuel system problems as being leading trouble makers.

What they have to do with safety wires is that both are routinely used in aviation. This thread is more about aviation stuff than outboard motor stuff. Started with lock wire. But some aviation stuff translates over to outboard motor stuff.

If we did not have tangent stuff to talk about this time of year we might not have much stuff to be talking about.

Comment

If we did not have tangent stuff to talk about this time of year we might not have much stuff to be talking about.
                            Especially those of us in the colder spaces of the Us or Canada!!!!! All of 21 degrees now and going down to at least 12 F tonight.
                            I especially like seeing all of these things to store away in my memory if it stays where I can access it later.
                            Dennis
                            Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by Captn Dave View Post

Military engines have been getting away from the need to safety wire bolts and nuts.

It's been a couple of years since I had to use these.
                              Is that true? And I would have thought Military standards are greater than in general aviation. Hence my earlier insinuation.

Comment

Working...
                              X