Why do my plugs foul every 2-3 run outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do my plugs foul every 2-3 run outs

Hi everyone. Am new here and from the UK.
    i have a 2001 130 2 stroke outboard and have a recent problem with plugs repeat fouling. Engine hours approx 170
    All started after power head removed to fit a new crank seal which was leaking.
    Boat runs fine for a couple of runs but then I start her up and after a minute or 2 it’s starts to misfire and eventually die. Plugs on inspection are fouled.
    checked compression and ok and after plug change runs perfect but this continues to be a problem and becoming expensive.
    i have been assured that the auto lube settings have not been altered and do not want to alter at risk of running oil too lean and damaging engine.
    Any suggestions
    thank you

The US 2001 130 HP shows you have a simple choke butterfly cold start system: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html

Can you pull the air silencer and make sure the choke butterflys are FULLY open once warmed up/started.. They should be open after a very short time.

Linkages may have come loose, got bent, etc in the R&R of the powerhead.

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Scott

i will look in to your reply the next time I get the kid off.
      thank you

Comment

checkt he fuel pump, check the carbs check the oil link clip and adjustments. these checks are simple.

Comment

Rodbolt, how cold is it over there on you side of the US right now?

Comment

If the oil control mechanism is set to the factory specifications there will be nil chance of the motor running with insufficient oil. A man at the factory adjusted the oil control rod and a man in the field can set it back to the same exact place that it was set when it was born.

A clip holding the oil control rod is known to get brittle with age and break. In which case the oil control rod can become disconnected. In which case the oil pump will default to the maximum oiling position at all times. Two much oil will then be provided. Not good for the health of the motor. Just like blood pressure, more is not necessarily better.

There is a check to ensure that the oil pump is adding the correct amount of oil but I would not suspect that to be the problem.

What brand of oil are you using? Probably no change in the type of oil being used pre and post plug fouling problem but it should be noted that Yamalube burns dirty. Slightly too much Yamalube will cause fouling whereas there are other brands of oil that will not.

Comment

Kennesaw forecast

Comment

-3 now -12 tonight here, I should have booked our Mexico trip earlyer.

Comment

I like that college town Kennesaw.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                    I like that college town Kennesaw.
                    Getting a bit too crowded now for me. Used to be a sleepy little town. They want to be big shots now.

Guess it is me being resistant to change.

Comment

It's busy for sure, Ilove it when the peach trees are blooming.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        Rodbolt, how cold is it over there on you side of the US right now?
                        I am guessing it's about 82 and sunny in Nags Head NC today. Nice breeze out of the north.
                        17 here in Baltimore. Gusts to 25 and flurries. My ass will be back in coastal GA in 48 hours.

Comment

looks like they say it will hold about 51 F this afternoon here, but will drop tonight

Comment

I think the high today was about 31 and a fair breeze. next couple days are supposed to sty below freezing. it was 31*F when I winterized the last four boats last Thursday. I think some folks may get whacked with a large bill come about springtime.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              I think the high today was about 31 and a fair breeze. next couple days are supposed to sty below freezing. it was 31*F when I winterized the last four boats last Thursday. I think some folks may get whacked with a large bill come about springtime.
                              Figured I could draw him out with the 82 degrees. El Rod lives in prob one of the most windy locations in the US. Continuous wind that is. Golf stinks there.

Comment

Working...
                              X