Yamaha t60tlrb tilt/trim slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha t60tlrb tilt/trim slow

Hello all, a few months back my 2003 Yamaha 60 4 stroke tilt raised the motor by itself. When I found it i thought the neighbor kids did it so I lowered it and the next day it was back up. Since then my tilt is very slow and will only run for a few seconds then stops when going up and down, after about 5 seconds I am able to run the motor again until I reach the desired tilt angle. I am guessing it is the trim relay but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

my guess would be a bad switch or wire,
    along with battery has run down

Comment

Batteries are both brand new. Both switches on the motor and controls run the pump at the same speed, no difference between the two.

Comment

Even a perfectly good new or old battery can become depleted if the trim motor continues to run for a bit of time.

The motor putting itself into auto-trim mode is indicative of a failed/failing switch.

With a fully charged battery the operation of the trim motor should be normal. If not, check the wiring to and from the battery and to and from the trim relay assembly.

Finding which switch is intermittently self commanding up trim will be a bit tricky. I would bet on the throttle handle trim switch. It is out in the elements more so and is the one that generally fails soonest.

A motor being left to run for long periods of time, not intended to be run for more than say a minute at most, could very well have damaged the brushes. Or the motor itself. Hopefully not.

Comment

My guess is if you had have approached those pesky neighbour kids, even if they were responsible they would have told you that it must have went up by itself !
          Get them to pay for the repair anyway, they wouldn't know, and probably have gotten away with other stuff you couldn't prove

Comment

Originally posted by bay slayer View Post
            Hello all, a few months back my 2003 Yamaha 60 4 stroke tilt raised the motor by itself. When I found it i thought the neighbor kids did it so I lowered it and the next day it was back up. Since then my tilt is very slow and will only run for a few seconds then stops when going up and down, after about 5 seconds I am able to run the motor again until I reach the desired tilt angle. I am guessing it is the trim relay but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            So it has not raised by itself recently? But now it does not work properly?

Charge the batteries up fully, as already noted and tap on the PTT relay with a screwdriver handle...see if you can get it to start the trim motor going. You can disconnect the engine mounted switch and see if it still goes up by itself (if it is still doing that) thus eliminating that one from the equation.

If the kids have found the trim switch on the engine it might be a good idea that the battery master switch be left in the off position...before someone gets their fingers broken in between the transom bracket and the engine while playing with it.

Comment

switchs fail,especially during or shortly after a good rain.
              easy to test.
              simply place the meter leads on the 10ga trim motor leads at the relay.
              hit the trim,voltage should show somewhere between 11 and 12V.
              while holding the switch what does the voltage do when the motor quits?

Comment

Working...
              X