Lower water pump housing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower water pump housing removal

My 1999 Yamaha C90 TLRX was overheating, so I decided to take a look at the impeller. I bought a water pump repair kit, upper and lower water pump housing. I've gotten down to the lower water pump housing, which has holes eaten in it. Last night, I pryed the plate of the housing up to remove the lower housing, and it broke in half. After removing the two halves, the top oil seal came out, and also an O-ring. I belive the bottom of the housing, which is the round part that fits to the top of the gearcase has broken off and stayed in the hole. Is there anything I can do to get it out? It seems to be stuck pretty good, and there's a good bit of corrosion too. If chipping it out is the answer, that's fine, but I really don't want to damage the gearcase. Should I stop now and take it to the shop, or can I safely continue if I'm careful?

Same exact motor and year as mine....a photo would be a real help here, as I can't picture in my mind what's going on....thanks!

Comment

The first two images are the old housing before I removed what I could. The last pic is the new housing, same view. I will take a side view of the new housing when I get home from work. That is the most telling view.

Last edited by drguillot; 09-12-2013, 11:38 PM. Reason: add image?

Comment

Thanks, and hopefully the photos will help with an answer for you....

Comment

Let me know if you can see the images, Robert. I still have a couple more coming. Thanks!

Comment

Lots of corrosion...but that old one is going to have to come out...in pieces if necessary. Look forward to other photos....

Comment

Comment

Comment

The round, silver part that extends out from the bottom of the lower water pump housing is what broke off, and is still in the L.U. i know it needs to come out, but can I chip it out without damaging the parts below it? I know the last oil seal for the gearcase is gonna be right there, and I don't know if it'll hurt if I get some of that crusty stuff falling in there. I'm going to change my gearcase oil after I'm done anyway, but this is the first time I try this. Any help is appreciated!

Comment

That's a lot of corrosion!...hopefully one of the folks/experts on here who have had direct experience with this can chime in with their thoughts regarding the best/safest way to extract that section with minimal damage....this must have been a saltwater motor!....

Comment

Yessir! I bought it in July from a guy I work with. They bought it new in 1999 and fished nothing but saltwater - often! I'm working on getting it back right. I do have concerns about the flow from the water pump through the block and all that. If the pump looks that bad, I'm thinking the engine is pretty bad too. However, it ran well the three times I fished in it, except for the overheating problem.

Comment

I guess technically, it's the oil seal housing and not the lower water pump housing. Same thing, but on the diagram, it calls it the oil seal housing.

Comment

Probably a good idea to remove/inspect/replace the thermostat and pressure control valve while you're doing the water pump.....if you can get that lower housing out and replaced with the new one you may be good to go, regardless of salt/mineral build-up in the rest of the cooling system....

Comment

i think this job is not for the novice if you haven't done it before as you can damage the gear case and be up for a new one ,i would take it to a engineering shop where they will control heat it and remove the old one and replace the new one in but if you have a steady hand and can control flame heat it might be possible but i have done it so many times it comes naturally but for a new person you will definitely damage the gear case

Comment

Originally posted by madharchod View Post
                              i think this job is not for the novice if you haven't done it before as you can damage the gear case and be up for a new one ,i would take it to a engineering shop where they will control heat it and remove the old one and replace the new one in but if you have a steady hand and can control flame heat it might be possible but i have done it so many times it comes naturally but for a new person you will definitely damage the gear case
                              Sounds like some good advice here....seems like if you can take your lower unit and new parts to a real Yamaha technician he may can do it for a reasonable price....but I'd get a quote on it before I let him do it, just to be safe$$$$....

Comment

Working...
                              X