Shifting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting Problems

2003 225 hp 4 stroke. Hard shifting into forward or reverse. Problem occurs occasionally, and sometimes when shifting back into neutral. Had a mech take a look at the cables and he said they were fine. I have a 704 remote control box, could the problem be there?

Appreciate any help.

Maybe the shift lever friction screw is too tight?....you could loosen it to see if it improves your shifting...your control cables may need replacing. Remove cable connectors back ot the motor and then try the shifting action to determine if problem is in cables or other...Good luck!

Comment

most likely, cables are failing.

Comment

what cable should be use?
        Thanks

Comment

3300 series in the correct length.

Comment

I have a shifting problem with 2004 Wellcraft 290 equipped with dual 704 binnacle; pretty sure its time for a cable replacement. Question: what length cables should I use; tried finding in Yamaha rigging manual but it refers to the 704 installation instructions....any help appreciated, and thanks!

Comment

Cable length is boat dependent. Inspect the cables that you have at each end. They may be marked as to their length. Or the cables can be removed for measurement. When the cable is removed tie a piece of cord to one end. Use the cord to install the new cables.

Comment

Working...
              X