Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F8 rectifier / regulator install

Hi All,

Pretty sure I have this figured but hoping for some confirmation.

I have a long shaft F8MLHB, 2003. Bought rectifier / regulator for it (part #68T-81960-00-00).

What I have gathered from reading is I just plug the two green bullet plugs into the open green wires in the wiring block on left side of engine:

But the rectifier itself has more than just the two green bullet plugs, one of the bullet plugs first goes to a bullet socket and then y's off that... am I supposed to plug something into that bullet socket or do I leave it empty:

And final question (sorry for all the q's at once!), I get different opinions reading through posts as to how to connect to battery. Obviously red goes to positive on battery, does black wire go directly from rectifier/regulator to negative on battery, or should it go to ground on the outboard itself and then I wire from that ground on the outboard to the battery?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Bass

Connect two green wires to green wires from stator, connect red wire to positive battery post, put a 20 amp inline fuse on red wire. Connect a ground wire to engine block and run to negitive battery post.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, that's what I eventually figured out...

... after downloading a wiring diagram.

However, I only get about 3.5 volts at idle and 5 - 5.25 volts at relatively full throttle.

Is this a problem with the rectifier or possibly with the lighting coil itself? I tried to test the output from the lighting coil itself (voltage across the two green wires) but it didn't tell me much, seemed to be low though.

Hmm, maybe I should just stick to solar...

Thanks for the help on the first question.

-- Bass

Comment

Working...
      X