No announcement yet.

Outboard stuck in forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, my ignorance is showing and I'm trouble shooting from afar without a parts manual or parts fisch...

That part "A" may be a lock down for the engine once its in gear so the engine doesn't jump up in gear (I don't truly know).

I'd focus on the shifter up by the powerhead.

It looks as thou, when in reverse, the shifter is about striking the housing. There should be some sort of adjustmenters.

(I'm assuming and please verify that large arm shifter IS the only part you move to shift gears)

If you can, please shoot a picture pointed downward into the housing, I'd like to see ALL the linkages that connect between the shifter arm and the lower unit.. There may be a worn end causing too much play in the shifter causing the arm to stop short (in reverse) and strike the outer housing.

If its shifting fully back and forth, IMO, there may be something bent in the lower unit not allowing it to shift fully..

At any point just before the issue was noticed, did you have to SHIFT ANY HARDER, pull / push the shifter more than normal?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by $oad1970 View Post
      The only cable that hooks up to the shift lever parts is the one in pic 5 part A and only goes to pic 5 part B which as far as i can tell lets you only pull start the motor in ntl. Pic 6 where the shift shaft joins, as i have said before the lower half moves fine but the upper half doesnt want to get out of fwd, it will if done by hand.

[IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      In picture #6, did you loosen / disconnect the larger nut? I would think that nut is an adjuster there but both upper and lower shifter ahafts need to be bolted TOEGTHER as one unit..

I did just find your engine but not a parts fisch:

CV30 | Yamaha Motor Australia
      Scott

Comment

Here's the parts fisch here:

http://www.bch5.ru/yamaha/1A69R700E1.pdf

Page 24 and 25 show the shifter breakdown, should be a big help...
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-03-2013, 08:09 AM.
        Scott

Comment

Yeah its hard to work things out from another persons info and pictures. Got a few Pics of the shift inside the housing not very good though as they don't show much.

Comment

It does look like the shift is hitting the housing in rev but what it hits against is rubber ( a rubber seal or something )

Lower unit seems to work ok, the lower shaft moves freely from ntl, frd and rev and the prop responsed.

Comment

Yes the large shift lever is all that is used to change from frd, rev,ntl and there was nothing noticeable that happen before this problem happened. There was no noise and the lever was no harder to move now and after i noticed the problem than before it happened.
              Yes i disconnected the lock nuts on the shift shaft to drop the lower unit, the upper shaft is the one that's not moving. The top lever moves but the upper shaft doesn't, it can be pulled down by hand without the top lever moving but when i push the top lever into ntl or frd the shaft goes up as it should but doesn't come back down when pushed into ntl or rev. It seems to be ok till it goes in here

I think my next task is take the middle part of and see what i can work out.

Thanks for the parts list it will help.

Comment

shifter

Sounds like you got it narrowed down to the mid section, and I concur, its likely got be in there. The upper shifter linkages look fine.

Might be as simple as an elongated hole in the upper shifter arm or worn upper shifter arm in the mid section ..

Good luck and please post your fix/results...
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM.
                Scott

Comment

Update

Been working away so the boat was put on hold, tried to get the power head off but looks like to much for me to do so i took it in and got it fixed ( and got it serviced at the same time). It turned out to be the upper shift linkage ( as we suspected ) they took the power head off and got into it and changed the broken parts. So i didn't end up fixing it myself but thanks to the help i got from this site I (we) managed to track down what the problem was and i learnt a lot, So i wanna say thanks to those that helped.

Comment

Working...
                  X