Drive Shaft Bushing F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft Bushing F150

When I remved the lower unit to replace the water pump in my 2004 F150TXRC, I noticed several pieces of black plastic loose on the lower unit. Looking up into the case, I saw the circlip for the drive shaft bushing, but nothing else. The area is very corroded and there is no sign of the bushing. The shaft is scored where the bushing rode, but I haven;t noticed any problrms with the motor.

I've read the posts on the drive shaft bushing, and it seems logical that it wouldn't be there if it wasn't needed.

Question 1. Is that true?

If so, is there some way to reset the bushing in the corroded housing or should I just look for a used housing and rebuild it?

As always, Thanks for your help.

From previous threads and discussions regarding that drive shaft bushing I believe it was concluded that the motor could operate quite well without it...especially since yours apparently has failed due to corrosion. I'd be prone to just run it without, as long as there's no adverse effects. Good Luck!

Comment

I'm not sure if it failed due to corrosion or if it corroded after the bushing was gone, but that was my first thought as well. I'll keep an eye on the housing.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X