1999 c60tlrx stuck thermostat bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YammyMan View Post
    One more thing, I am an electronics engineer ( I work on battery back up systems). I have a product called No Ox. Its a grease that we put on battery terminals to keep them from oxidizing. I have been cleaning any bolt I can get out of this thing and coating it with No OX. What do you guys think about that as far as preventing future seizures? Thanks for all of the ideas. Your experience is appreciated!
    I used the NO OX for many years on 24V, 48V, and 125V battery banks.
    It contains no copper or any other metals as far as I know.
    We always used a heat gun or a hot plate to warm up/ liquify a can of it and brush in on with paint brush of even dip the straps in to coat evenly.
    It has a fairly low melting point, but stays in place once cooled off and acts as a very good protection from the acid and O2
    Never thought of using it on boat motor bolts. When the motor gets hot/warmed up it will melt and run down or away from where you put it.
    Just an opinion

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas. Rodbolt, I have a small butane solder torch(it holds a cigarette lighter type cylinder). Do you think this would be sufficient for heating the area? I know I need to keep it moving and I also know not to wait for an orange glow LOL. I am out of town right now and will continue with this stuck sucker on Tuesday. But again, thanks for all of your inputs!

Comment

Ok. The repair is complete. Let me start by saying, I used PB penetrating oil for over a week. I heated the area. I tapped bolt with counter sink and hammer. I cussed at it. I talked about its mama. I did everything I could with no results. I do not like having a motor that is not a 100%, so today I applied that little extra pressure. And guess what, SNAP. I was the proud owner of the head off of the thermostat housing bolt. After a few more curse words I began looking for answers as to what to do next. I went a head and drilled a small hole through the bolt that was stuck in the head. As I was driving into town to purchase an easy out, I couldnt help but thinking about all the people on this forum that said its hard as hell to drill out an easy out once it breaks. So I stopped by my local yamaha dealer and talked to their mechanic. He said when you have a salt water corroded bolt there is only 1 option. Drill and tap. And he offered to do it for me today for the super low price of $130 bucks. Well being the do-it-myselfer that I am, I continued down the road to my local automotive store and purchased a tap set for 9 bucks (meteric) and a M6 meteric bolt(1inch) for $1.75, and headed back home with a lot of doubt in my mind because I have never tapped anything other than my wife. Well with a 3/16th in. drill bit I drilled as close to the ceter of the shank of the old bolt and got my M6 tap out and started turning. I turned a few turns and then backed it back out. I completed this until I had the correct depth. It actually worked. Motor is back together with a new thermostat bolt and it only cost me 12 bucks and about 30 mins. I guess what you need to know about this is no reason for PB or heat. If the bolt breaks on a saltwater motor get a drill and tap that sucker. BACK ON THE WATER! Thanks for all of yalls help!

Comment

with heat, not a cigarrete lighter, I can typically extract the fastener.
          if nessasary I can usually heat it hot enough so the threads(AL) come out with the bolt.
          that leaves a nice bore for a heli-coil.
          however if the bolt is broken I use a bullit point style bit in the tap drill size and simply drill and tap it.
          was easier 25 years ago when I could see .
          glad ya got it done.
          very glad you rethunkded the easy out thang.
          a buddy of mine only charges 90 dollars apiece to extract broken easy outs.
          he did give a discount to a customer a few years back.
          guy brought me a 55 suzuki block with 7 broken headbolts and 4 broken easyouts.

Comment

Rodbolt, I wish I had someone like you who lived closer to me. I used to have my grandfather but I was young and took his knowlege for granted at the time. That man could work on anything from a crop duster to a boat motor. Wish I would have paid more attention to him when I had the chance. I could have learned so much. Well with that said, I bought a torch and didnt have any luck with it. But I may have not have gotten it hot enough. If I had a guy like you to show me the ropes I'm sure it would save me a lot of head aches. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Glad you were able repair the motor. Happy trails.

Comment

my grandfather was a master carpenter.
                my claim to woodworking is the ability to make a fire in the rain.
                my grandmother was a renowned cook around here,I cant make my corn meal dumplings stay together in the collard pot.
                yes I wish I had paid attention.

Comment

Working...
                X