Fuel Separator Bowl vs non-bowl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Separator Bowl vs non-bowl?

My twin 99 Yamaha OX66 225s each have a Sierra 18-7866 fuel filter.

There seems to be value (to me anyway) of replacing them with a clear bowl type filter, primarily to see a problem before it becomes a bigger one.

It looks like Yamaha does not make this type of filter, and that Racor does a nice job.

First, are there downsides to screwing in a 10 micron Racor setup to the existing mounting head, assuming the threads are the same?

The mounting head, likely original ( 99 Grady 272 Sailfish) has a stylized ' ap ' on the top.

I have read postings re the plastic bowl & fire hazards, and feel that the current positioning is secure.

Second, if anyone knows the Racor filter and/or bowl number that would be much appreciated as well.

Many thanks

Fuel Separator Bowl vs non-bowl?

After using the clear Racor bowl filters on my Grady for almost ten years then recently switching back to the long non-bowl filters I would recommend that you not use the bowl filters unless you know you have an ongoing problem with water or some other contaminants in your fuel that you need to monitor closely. That is the only advantage they offer. For someone in an area that has to buy fuel from a questionable source being able to see and drain any contaminants from the bottom of the bowl is a plus. But for everyone else I think you get better filtration at a better price with the standard filters. The bowls are also a little more of a pain to change because you also have to remove the bowls each time you change the filter and it is not always easy as they do get stuck.

Comment

Working...
    X