Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fired up a BRAND NEW 1988 225 Excel yesterday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired up a BRAND NEW 1988 225 Excel yesterday!

Yes, BRAND NEW with factory tags on it still. Plastic over the prop shaft. Came from garage sale. Old man who had it never got to run it before he got sick.
    Was almost too nice/clean to start up but probably better late than never. Amazingly it pumped water just fine. All I did was put oil in the tank, sprayed a bit of oil in the carbs and cylinders and she lit right up on 50-1 premix. Been sleeping for 24 years! It was cool to see oil starting to pump through the clear oil lines for the FIRST time.

At least break it in before you run it over 6 k...

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
      Yes, BRAND NEW with factory tags on it still. Plastic over the prop shaft. Came from garage sale. Old man who had it never got to run it before he got sick.
      Was almost too nice/clean to start up but probably better late than never. Amazingly it pumped water just fine. All I did was put oil in the tank, sprayed a bit of oil in the carbs and cylinders and she lit right up on 50-1 premix. Been sleeping for 24 years! It was cool to see oil starting to pump through the clear oil lines for the FIRST time.
      By all means do the prescribed break-in to ensure long engine life....and you can go heavier on the oil mix(like double the normal amount) for the first 10 hours/tank full. Good Luck!

Comment

Fantastic! Pictures.. please

Comment

I've run it 45 min on the hose varying the speed from 800 to 1800. Next if the weather isn't too cold I'll put it on the water for another hour not exceeding 4000 but then I'll let her fly but only short bursts of full throttle. I'm running 50-1 plus the oil injection for at least the first 2 hours.

It's on a 16ft. BAJA that went 74 with a tired 200 so I'm hoping for 80+ with this motor if I don't kill myself.

Comment

Working...
          X