Disconnect rev limiter on 1988 225 Excel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnect rev limiter on 1988 225 Excel

Anyone know how? Would like to rev over 6000 on my application.

If you have a CDI-box with screw terminals disconnect the white wire between the CDI-unit and the control-unit below the CDI. This will most probably also disable the slow down function on oil and temp-alarms but the horn will still sound upon alarm.

If you have a newer CDI with the cables going directly into the CDI-unit you just cut the grey wire loop.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
        Anyone know how? Would like to rev over 6000 on my application.
        Probably a bad idea to rev motor higher than specified limit....for changes in performance consider different prop....just my opinion!....Good Luck!

Comment

A common reason to rev hi is to avoid proprides on small, very fast boats. After robert's post I got cuirious, whats your reason BQUICK?

Comment

With the 27P prop I have the rpms will be about 6100 right where the rev limiter on the Excel supposedly comes in. I don't plan on revving much higher but want the limiter out of the picture. For short bursts 30 seconds max at full throttle I have run up to 6700 with another one without any issues. (limiter had been disconnected by previous owner)

.....and I think the warranty period is over.
            Last edited by BQUICK; 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Hopefully it holds together at 6700RPM's, but I think that checking the torque and horsepower curves for that motor may indicate not much if anything to be gained by higher RPM's?....I used to trim my 115 Yamaha 2 stroke up to 5800RPM's for extended runs without issue...Good Luck!

Comment

The guys over at Scream and Fly are saying rev it on a small go fast boat. Gets you up to speed quicker also which is good since I'm only there as long as my my balls allow since chinewalk can come in at any time.

Comment

Working...
                X