Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 250HP 250TXRT Saltwater Series II Carb Rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 250HP 250TXRT Saltwater Series II Carb Rebuild?

There are 6 of these in my motor. My motor has always cold started terrible (about 5 minutes worth of cranking and then it starts with the bump of a key for the rest of the day). This past summer, I started having mid-range stalling/cutting out (around *****ing speed), nothing too serious, but a bit of a nuisance. Now I am having low end spitting and sneezing and the mid range is a little worse.

I let the motor sit for several months at a time, so I assume this is the carbs getting fouled/gummed up (although I run Stabil).

I called 2 local well regarded Yamaha mechanics and both said time for a carb job. 1st mechanic said it would run typically in the $1200+ range. Other mechanic said $800-$1200 and then relooked at my motor number and said they would not touch it since these carbs are "electric something or another and next to impossible to tune..."

- So am I screwed cost-wise on this?
    - Why can't these be done by a shade tree mechanic or myself?
    - How hard is tuning?
    - Is there someone that resells these already rebuilt (like injectors)?
    - Ay $1200+, I am wondering if the motor is even worth that much for a repair?

Thanks in advance.

kits are about 30 dollars each,maybe a tad more now.
    3 lift pumps at 50 bucks each.
    a handfull of wire ties and possibly some fuel lines.
    service manual for link and sync= priceless.
    mark the carbs,do the 1 at a time.
    some had plastic limiters on the air/fuel screws,but they are removable.
    if you remove the TPS from the top port carb it will have to be reset,
    if not it needs to be checked when your done.
    the (electric somethings) are simple solinoids that control cold fuel enrichment,rapid acceleration enrichment,rapid decelleration enrichment and knock detect enrichment based on ground path signals from the ECU.
    they have NOTHING to do with carb tuning.
    if you remove them make sure you retrieve the orings,discard them and replace with new.
    most the rest of the orings are reusable if not damaged,same goes for needle valves and floats.
    job takes me 4-6 hours typically.
    if the shop has no clue about the enrichment solinoids I would not use that shop.

Comment

So how do you clean them, simple carb cleaner or something special?

Comment

I use combustion chamber cleaner followed with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Comment

Working...
        X