Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 hp Yamaha with strange code

Hello Folks,
    I just picked up a used outboard that has a strange code on it and need to get parts for it. the plate reads 115 AETO 6E5L 352381. I know what AETO means but can't pinpoint the exact year. There are no other stampings on the tag. I know the production run started in 1981 but went on for years so I think the last 6 digits are the key. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Wwert

Thats a international model number and we don't don't have access to any information on them, there were a few in 1984 that was sold in USA but had a 115ETLN model number on other side of bracket.
    Last edited by boats.net; 11-03-2012, 11:58 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

It is model year 1985.

Comment

JARB, could you share a web site link that shows year info , as I have not seen anything that shows year from serial #

Comment

I often just check the plug leads on a engine.
          If they are still original they have the year of manufacture printed on them.
          Its never been wrong for me.
          I'm in South Africa so not sure about the states but that's what I use.

Comment

Hi!

Have a look on attachment... may help!
            Is not the exact code 6E5L (L maybe mean size of upper casing/lower unit, or not)but I guess is not very diferent code 6E52 and most of parts may be common.

Good luck
            Last edited by almetelo; 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

6e5 represents the basic model code, in part numbering it identifies the first model it was used on.
              thats why we have the 6e5,68f,68v,61a and so on.
              in the case of 6e5 it indicates its a 115 or the part was first used on the 115.
              the aeto and beto alpha charecters dont mean much for the US market however some were imported from 1984 to 1986.

Comment

Hi Rodbolt!

You're right!
                The most important is the code but in previous case have a spare number thats why my doubt!
                Were in EU the letters aren´t so important as the code but have a meaning as you know.
                In US you have diferent letters.

Ex: 2 yamaha outboards I own.

F80AET (A) 1st change on motor (E) Electric start (T) Power trim and tilt
                Code 67G

30DMO (D) 4th change on motor (M) manual tilt and manual start (O) oil injected

Code 6J8

Have look on attachement.

Thanks!
                Last edited by almetelo; 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  JARB, could you share a web site link that shows year info , as I have not seen anything that shows year from serial #
                  The info is from a printed list that I have for the European market, I dont think it can be downloaded anywhere. Usually the easiest thing to do is just to call Yamaha for model year from serial but if you have a motor originating from another market national Yamaha doesn't have any info..

Comment

Figured it out

Thank you all. The spark plug wire does indeed have the date on it. It is a 1984

Comment

Most model year 1985 motors are made in 1984, thats beacuse the 1985 model year went into production in April 1984 and lasted until March 1985. Your spark plug wires as well as the engine it self might very well be produced in 1984 but as a 1985 model..

Comment

Working...
                      X