Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Neutral Lock

Can anyone help?

What part is most likely gone in the control box assembley if the neutral lock has stoped working. It goes into forward unrestricted but reverse is still locked.

It's the 704 control box, it was installed new in 2003. I dont know if thats enough.

The 704 control does not have a neutral lock, only the 703 side mount box has it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yeah maybe thats it. It looks like it anyway.

Sorry, I'm going on second hand info. They are mounted in a dual configaration but its two individual units controling twin 60hp four stroke yams of the same year. Tilt switch, ignition and kill cords are the only functions.

I need to try identify and order the parts before i'll get to see the boat.

Are there multiple models that look like the 703?

Comment

The only safety on the binnacle is the neutral safety switch which prevents the motor from starting. If your shifter is not moving into reverse it is more than likely the shift cable or in the linkage in the shifter or on the motor. Disconnect the shift cable and see if the shifter moves into reverse. Do this on the binnacle end and the motor end to narrow down the problem.

Comment

Thank you Aquasportfisher.

Maybe i'm completely off on the model number.

The safety feature which stops the throttle from accidently engaging has broken inside somewhere. It will go into both forward and reverse no problem but will now go into forward without having to pull up the trigger.

I'm pretty sure having had a good look that its the 703 not the 704.

Comment

Sorry, not familiar with the side mount 703...the 704 has no lockout.

Comment

Remove the handle to get to neutral lock on 703 control.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
              X