Strange behavior on Yamaha 50 TLRD 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange behavior on Yamaha 50 TLRD 2005

I have a 2005 Yamaha 50 TLRD on a pontoon boat. The engine starts right up, and it idles normally. I warm it up on idle for a few minutes before I head out. After taking off, after 2-3 minutes, the engine dies when I open the throttle. After this, it restarts right away, and then dies in a few seconds. I have to use the emergency choke (red knob) and restart it a few times. After that, the engine runs fine.

The carburators were cleaned a few months ago, checked the spark (7/16th gap) & spark plugs, all look nice. I think it may be fuel related.

Any advice please?

Thank you!

check fuel pump and for air leaks in fuel system

Comment

Thank you for answering!

I don't think it is a fuel pump issue, because the primer bulb is always hard.

I changed the fuel tank for a bigger one, and I added a small inline clear filter so I can see if the gas is flowing.

I think that even if the fuel pump wasn't working, it would still run fine with the primer bulb.

Comment

hi, i have same engine and mine is doing same thing. Did you determine the cause?

Comment

If have to choke it to keep running then need to remove and clean carbs.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Get carbs cleaned and install a fuel/water separater type canister filter(Walmart/Attwood $27) to help prevent water/ethanol/debris in carb jets.

Comment

I find water in the carbs,the "new"tank have small hole on top.

Comment

Working...
              X