1993 250 steering arm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 250 steering arm question

New member here and looking for some advice on whether I should replace a steering arm or not. I've done all of the hard work to get down to the steering backet to do a bushing/seal replacement/hardened grease cleanout and have found that the circle clip channel on the bottom of the actual steering arm has rusted off. There is no way to get a new clip back on the arm once I have installed it back into the steering bracket. Other than the last 1/4 inch of the actual arm missing it is in great condition. Some slight pitting under the upper bushing but nothing major. Is this clip a big deal or something that I shouldn't worry about? Steering arm is an expensive item but is also a royal pain to get to........ so?

I'd appreciate some solid guidance on reusing or replacing the steering arm.

Thanks,

Scott
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shendo64; 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM. Reason: Attaching pictures

i would think you could find a decent cond mid section/use all of your good parts rather than go thru all that work ?
    many keep the heads/LUs and sell off the mids

Comment

Originally posted by Shendo64 View Post
      New member here and looking for some advice on whether I should replace a steering arm or not. I've done all of the hard work to get down to the steering backet to do a bushing/seal replacement/hardened grease cleanout and have found that the circle clip channel on the bottom of the actual steering arm has rusted off. There is no way to get a new clip back on the arm once I have installed it back into the steering bracket. Other than the last 1/4 inch of the actual arm missing it is in great condition. Some slight pitting under the upper bushing but nothing major. Is this clip a big deal or something that I shouldn't worry about? Steering arm is an expensive item but is also a royal pain to get to........ so?

I'd appreciate some solid guidance on reusing or replacing the steering arm.

Thanks,

Scott
      just looking at the pics I do not thing it is missing 1/4 of shaft.
      Just an opinion by a non expert
      Clean up the shaft well and and see if a snap ring can still grab or maybe have machine shop see what they can do to repair

Comment

Thanks for the info jb123 and 99yam40. I hadn't really thought about having a machine shop work on it but thats certainly something to consider.

jb, I actually only broke one bolt breaking down the engine (not a single powerhead bolt broke) so it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

Scott

Comment

Working...
        X