Fact or fiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fact or fiction?

Should motor be put in gear to keep prop from turning while towing on trailer at high speed?
    A mechanic told me that the spinning prop will wear out a bearing and prop seal due to improper lubrication because the motor isn't running.

Sounds like hog-wash to me, but if it makes you feel better, put it in gear to stop prop rotation in the wind.

Comment

That's what I thought......but the same guy said that if only running one motor on twins that it could cause damage to the lower unit of the motor that is shut off and spinning. It was then that I asked him...what about the props spinning on the highway.

Comment

The prop shaft bearings and gears are covered in lube as long as lube level is correct, So I do not see how that would be a problem.
        maybe he was referring to no water on seal for lube and cooling.

Never seen a problem from towing in neutral, but how could you prove it one way or the other

some Drive shaft upper bearing are lubed by the shaft turning and working oil/lube up to the bearing, but the drive shaft and it's bearings and gear do not move unless the motor is turning , so those will not be hurt by prop spinning.

Comment

Ok so then what about when you are at anchor in current ?? - your prop is spinning as well ???

Comment

That's bull chit man!

Comment

Working...
            X