90 HP Cable Replacement Throttle / Gear Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 HP Cable Replacement Throttle / Gear Shift

OK. My throttle cable broke somewhere between the center console and engine. I measured the length and added a foot. So I have new XTREME cables on the way and will be ready to replace over the weekend.

I plan to hook the new one to the old one at the engine with a barrel nut and pull to the center console. Now - the question I have is this - how do I get the cable into the Yamaha 703(I think) handle?

Do I remove the rubber boot from the side, then disconnect somehow and pull it off to the side? Or do I need to remove the metal backing area inside the center console?

Any input or ideas would be appreciated - as I have never done this before.

Thanks.
    Steve

The 703 side mount control has to be removed form console and remove back plate to replace cables.
    704 binnacle control has to be removed from console and remove plastic cover on back to replace cables.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I must have 704 - since it is front mounted on the center console. There are 4 screws on the front - which of course, have been on for 10 years and don't want to come off. Once I get these 4 loose - I am assuming it will open up.

Any ideas on an easy way to get these screws off? Wd 40 ?

Comment

screwed

They shouldnt be that tight?? but I understand if the heads are gone it makes any screw a PITA.. Just go to Home Depot or Tractor Supply and get an easy out..Replace them and be done..
        Last edited by peterfrae; 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X