1989 yamaha 150 hp cranking problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 yamaha 150 hp cranking problems?

I'm new to this forum and I just trade my little Jon boat for a 20' Proline. I started the yami and a lot of white smoke came out and then cleared up. water sight hole was working fine and the motor sounded great just a little high idle but ran great. A couple days later I went to start it again and the motor wouldn't turn I thought it might be the batteries so I charged them up (I just bought them this year). Tried it again and nothing. I took the plugs and tried to turn over and still nothing. Then i put a socket on the flywheel and turned it over but even with the plugs out it still turned pretty stiff and there is a squealing noise. Please if anyone has any suggestions let me know what it might be. I was wondering if there was some kind of pressure release or something that I'm missing? My engine model is 150etxf year is 1989.

one of three things.
    the drive shaft bushing locked up,the lower unit failed or the powerhead failed.
    time to drop the lower and see what failed.

Comment

I also vote for the drive shaft bushing frozen. Located in mid unit, you can see it with a flashlight when you drop lower unit. It sometimes ****s at an angle and traps the shaft stopping it from turning.

Comment

Is that a major job or can a person with good mechanical skills handle it?

Comment

The drive shaft bushing is not a big complex deal, just look up in there with a flashlight and try to determine condition. I beliece it's held in with a circlip. It's just a black rubber bushing that can require some lubrication to prevent sqealing noises. Are your battery cables and connections clean and tight?

Comment

Yes all battery connections are good.

Comment

Seems odd it was running fine when you put it up, then upon restart it was tight, stuck, whatever. I'd remove each spark plug and shine a flashlight in each hole to look for water, carbon, condition of cylinders. Maybe a water leak into cylinders set up corrosion on rings and cylinders? Spray WD-40 or similar in each cylinder and try to turn it over? Good Luck!

Comment

Another possible idea might be a nut/bolt/fastener/component shook loose under flywheel and jamming it when turned...could remove flywheel to inspect?

Comment

Working...
                X