1991 yamaha txrp 200 ping at wot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 yamaha txrp 200 ping at wot

plugs do not look like they are running hot runs fine at all other speeds just had carbs rebuilt new seals and washers. is it maybe a high speed adjustment needed possibly a wrist pin afraid to run it until i figure this out the port motor runs fine so i dont think its the fuel. if anybody had any ideas they would be greatly appreciated

If it is in fact a "ping", then maybe run a tank of higher octane gas(like 93) to see if it might reduce the sound?...Heavy carbon in the combustion chamber might cause a "ping", maybe run some Yamaha Ringfree in your gas tank at the "deposit removal" dosage. Good Luck!

Comment

ok i will try the 93 and ringfree this weekend to see if it helps. just dont want to burn a hole in a piston or something it seems fine at lower rpms. i hardly ever floor it and it doesnt make the noise when its floored taking off the noise comes around wen i get above 5400 rpm thanks for the help

Comment

Well, if it's a "ping" like in detonation or pre-combustion, then it's certainly worth checking into!...maybe an older motor has some carbon in combustion chambers? I believe about a full tank of gas with the Ringfree at "deposit removal' dosage is required for it to work...they mention that during de-carbon procedure that some spark plug fouling may occur. Don't suppose you may have gotten some old, contaminated, degraded or low octane fuel somewhere?...Let us know what you find!

Comment

it is possible that it had some contaminated fuel get thru the canister filter i drained the tank this year ad have not filled it up only 30 gal at a time in case i need to drain it again. the boat had been sitting for 5 yrs when i got it so i have been slowly going thru all the steps to prepare for a bahamas crossing next year. i have replaced the canister filters on both motors twice and have been watching closely to make sure no gunk has gotten in them i thing that the tank still might have had a lil varnish in the bottom. it bothers me a lil that only one motor is having these issue though. thanks for the feedback

Comment

Working...
          X