2004 9.9 electric choke issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 9.9 electric choke issues

My 2004 9.9 has an electric choke module(thermalelectric ) I seem to have troubles with this choke a lot as I live quite aways from my boat and don't get to use it a lot. When I try to start the motor lately it appears that the choke thermalelectric module either is not working or the carb passages are dirty. If I hold my thumb over the end of the intake then the motor will start right up but seems to take awhile to warm up.
    I noticed that in 2005, Yamaha did away with the electric choke and went back to the manual choke. Is there a way to retro fit some kind of manual choke to my 2004 9.9?

Thanks for any info.

Sailorjohn

Probably need to remove and clean carb, the only way to convert to manual choke is to buy new carb and all choke linkage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

2004 9.9 electric choke

Thanks for the reply. I have cleaned the carb many times to fix the problem and am getting tired of doing this. I noticed that Yamaha has changed back to a manual choke system on the 2005 and later 9.9's. That seems to tell me that they were having a problem with the electric choke process.

It also appears that the intake manafold has been changed on the later engines to make swapping carbs a little more of a problem.

I am thinking of doing some kind of mod to my carb/intake to add a manual choke butterfly and some kind of linkage, just a thought.

Thanks again for the reply.
      John

Comment

Working...
      X