Emergency enrichment lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency enrichment lever

I recently bought a 2004 50TLRC for my flats boat. I've owned 12 Yami's over the years, but this is the smallest HP I've had. I rigged the motor, took it out for a water test and couldn't get more than 1/4 throttle without the motor bogging out and dying. Started and idled fine, but would die past 1/4 throttle. Took the cowl off and noticed the emergency enrichment lever was set to on. Moved lever to normal- problem solved. My question is what is the purpose of the emergency enrichment lever- and why is it only on the smaller HP motors?

It's a fully automatic "Prime Start" fuel mixture enrichening device used on carbed motors. The "normal' is the automatic setting, the "on/off" is to activate it if it's somehow disabled...it's solenoid is electrically actuated. My Yamaha is a 1999 and I've never had a problem with the Prime Start and I have the impression they're pretty trouble-free. Of course the newer Fuel Injected motors wouldn't use a Prime Start. Good Luck!

Comment

Prime start system enriches the fuel to all cylinders at cold start.
      Once running the motor charging system sends voltage to the heater unit and it warms up a wax pellet that pushes a needle into a seat to close off the passage.
      the emergency on lever position is to help you start motor if there were starvation problems out on the water due to passage plugging
      The owners manual says once motor is started and warmed up you should turn it to the off position and motor back to shore and have the motor fixed.
      Robert runs the C90 , but have no idea if any higher HP motors have it or not

Comment

Thanks for the replies. In a nutshell, the enrichment setting keeps you from killing your battery trying to start a motor with carb problems- or from ****ing your arm off with a pull starter! Regardless, I set the lever to normal and it solved my problem.

Comment

Yes instead of a choke.
          (CDI)advances the timing at start up until temp switch tells it the motor is warmed up, (If you lift the fast idle lever past a certain point, it then drops the advance)So leave lever in the down position when starting

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Prime start system enriches the fuel to all cylinders at cold start.
            Once running the motor charging system sends voltage to the heater unit and it warms up a wax pellet that pushes a needle into a seat to close off the passage.
            the emergency on lever position is to help you start motor if there were starvation problems out on the water due to passage plugging
            The owners manual says once motor is started and warmed up you should turn it to the off position and motor back to shore and have the motor fixed.
            Robert runs the C90 , but have no idea if any higher HP motors have it or not
            My 90C Prime start is on the middle, #2 carb, so it would only enrichen the mixture on that cylinder, enough to start the motor...don't see how it would enrichen other cylinders?...

Comment

If you follow the fuel hose from prime start enrichment system, it hits the manifold behind the carbs that is cross drilled to each cylinder intakes.
              enriching one cylinder does not make for a very good running motor with the other cylinders running lean
              I believe it was rodbolt that posted that to me once, but it could have been someone else

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                If you follow the fuel hose from prime start enrichment system, it hits the manifold behind the carbs that is cross drilled to each cylinder intakes.
                enriching one cylinder does not make for a very good running motor with the other cylinders running lean
                I believe it was rodbolt that posted that to me once, but it could have been someone else
                Well, I never looked at it that close...live and learn....Guess it makes good sense to enrichen all cylinders on start-up! So the prime start isn't really connected to the middle carb, fuel-wise?

Comment

middle carb is where it gets the fuel to enrich

Comment

pime start on the 3 cyl motors is fully automatic.
                    hitting the choke switch does nothing as its not connected to anything at the engine.
                    the prime start on the 3 cyl draws fuel from the middle bowl and utilizes a small pulse pump,pulses via #2 cyl, the pump fuel to the intake passages via a small gray line.
                    enrichment valve power is via the lighting coil on the stator assy.
                    as current flows when the engine is running the wax in the valve heats and the needle extends shutting down the enrichment.
                    the lever is in case the valve is stuck down,some models have normal,open and off.
                    open bypasses the enrichment valve, off closes ALL enrichment. that would be used if the lighting coil or valve wiring failed.
                    very simple system that like precision blend, kicks techs butt.

Comment

You should not be posting on someones old thread, start a new one with all your info

Comment

HUH ?? WHAt DID I MISS ? LOL !!

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post

Whatever it was went right over my head.

Comment

It got moved so all is well

Comment

Working...
                            X