Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 F9.92 - problems with staying running - tried everything (almost!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F9.92 - problems with staying running - tried everything (almost!)

All right guys, you're my last hope before I go to the dealer... Here's a bit of background... Going to try to give a lot of info up front.

I bought this motor a couple months ago. It's a 2006. I put it on the water and ran it about once a week on a 16 boat, *****ing with it for about 3 hours every time on idle. I'd go WOT for maybe 2 minutes each time to get to my fishing spot, and then drop down to idle and *****. The only issue I have ever experienced was if I dropped the RPMs very abruptly, the engine would sputter and die, but when restarted it would keep running. In idle it was also never totally "purring" but I didn't know any better, it seemed fine to me.

Last week I took it on the lake, it started up fine, idled for a few minutes, then as I started taking off, it died, and wouldn't start back up.

Here is the progression since then:

PART I

I took out and cleaned out the carb (as best as I knew how, I may have certainly missed something, who knows), using a strand of wire to go through the nozzles. The body looked clean, with no deposits. I cleaned up the spark plug contacts - they were sooty. I cleaned the fuel filter, I cleaned the fuel pump. I put it all back together and the motor started purring like a kitten. Started up and stayed running (in my driveway in a trash can with water). No hiccups, nothing. I took it to the lake and it worked better than it did when I bought it from its previous owner. It started right up and stayed running. I warmed it up, then put it into gear and at idle went for about a half a mile. It was smooth as silk, like never before. I was celebrating my victory. Then I opened up the throttle some, then some more, then went to WOT. Went on WOT for about 30 seconds, before it started slowing down, then choking up, then it died. After that, all the original symptoms came back. Wouldn't start up; with the choke started up, revved up high, then sputtered and died.

PART II

Last night, I cleaned out the carb again, blew through the fuel pump again. Then got to thinking that it can't be the fuel delivery system bc I primed the bulb and heard the carb fill up. At that point, it should have started, regardless of the fuel pump or filter even being in place. So, at this point I'm down to the carburetor being bad (I inspected the float for cracks or whatever, and couldn't see anything, but as I said above, there might be things I missed otherwise), or the electrical.

Need your guys' help! Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you!
    Last edited by sonovagun; 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM.

Next time it dies out check for spark (probably not your problem, but always helps), then remove the carburetor drain screw (varify fuel comes out, should be a good amount). If no fuel comes out, you either have an air leak in the fuel system or the fuel pump is no good (or something else is keeping the carburetor from filling with fuel). If there is fuel, remove your oil dip stick and smell for fuel, the fuel pump could be leaking fuel into the crankcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Next time it dies out check for spark (probably not your problem, but always helps), then remove the carburetor drain screw (varify fuel comes out, should be a good amount). If no fuel comes out, you either have an air leak in the fuel system or the fuel pump is no good (or something else is keeping the carburetor from filling with fuel). If there is fuel, remove your oil dip stick and smell for fuel, the fuel pump could be leaking fuel into the crankcase.
      How do I check for spark?

Secondly, it doesn't start right now at all, or if it does it stalls within a few seconds. The carb is filled with fuel. When I took it out last night to clean it it was full. If there was a leak in the fuel system, wouldn't the engine at least idle once the carb was filled up with fuel by priming the bulb, and then stall only when trying to open the throttle?

Comment

Test spark with spark tester.

Sounds like you need to drain and clean tank and all lines and then flush out well with fresh fuel. And then clean carbs again

Comment

Sounds like you had some trash in your carb, cleaned it and it ran good, then you got some more trash in carb. Is your fuel filter showing any trash/water/particles? Maybe install a Walmart/Attwood Fuel/Water separator($27), easy 2 screw install on transom...save lots of water/contaminated fuel related problems...filters much better than the motor-mounted filter(which you leave in place). Good Luck!

Comment

You are operpropped,and need less pitch.

Comment

Last night I dumped the old gas, filled the tank with fresh gas, added marine stabil, cleared all the fuel lines, and dumped the fuel filter. I do believe I saw water in the fuel filter. I didn't know what the water would look like, but there was clear separation there of 2 liquids. although, I can't say that I saw water in the main tank fuel, but perhaps it's because it got mixed as I was pouring it out into a bucket?

anyways, it took about 10-15 pulls, but the motor started up, and ran just fine. it now still does that thing that I thought it stopped, if I rev it up and then quickly down, it stalls. but it restarts just fine after that. Is that normal??

crossing my fingers and my toes. didn't have time to drop it in water today, but will post results when I do! seems quite promising, but I am not celebrating just yet.

Comment

I'd still highly recommend installing that fuel/water separator.....

Comment

Yes! I did buy one and will mount it asap!

Comment

I also noticed that I can easily overprime the carb and fuel starts shooting out from the top when I do. I thought this would be normal, but from reading online I've learned that when the carb fills up and the float rises, the needle valve is supposed to shut off the fuel completely and you shouldn't be able to pump more fuel in the carb. However, mine seems to take it. The bulb feels pretty hard, but not so hard that I can't keep pressing it, and when I do, fuel spews out the top of the carb.

Thoughts?

Comment

That carb float needle valve really should shut off the fuel flow, even while still pumping primer....mine gets to the point that I can't pump the bulb any more. Maybe a new needle valve? I believe that fuel/water separator may put an end to your carb problems. Start using some Stabil in your gas also.

Comment

Pull carb and clean better, need to take everything apart that you can and make sure all passages are clean.
                        May need to replace needle and seats if cleaning does not fix the over filling

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          Pull carb and clean better, need to take everything apart that you can and make sure all passages are clean.
                          May need to replace needle and seats if cleaning does not fix the over filling
                          I have, ad nauseam. 3 times. Every passage. How/why would the float get stuck? It's as simple of a construction as can get. The float is intact, all parts appear brand new. There was not a spec of dirt in the carb when I opened it.

Comment

needle and seat must have something in it that does not allow it to seal off properly or the float is not putting pressure on the needle to seat properly

Comment

There may be a plastic or neoprene seal either on the needle or in the body of the valve that may be cracked or damaged? The float should stop the fuel flow when it raises the needle....

Comment

Working...
                              X