1992 30hp 30MSHQ disassembly problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 30hp 30MSHQ disassembly problems

I have a 1992 Yamaha outboard that I am trying to remove the lower drive to get access to the water pump impeller for replacement. As best that I can tell, there are just four bolts holding the lower drive the the rest of the motor. I have removed them but the two halves seem to be fused together. Are there more bolts holding the lower drive on? I've tried tapping with a wooden block and a hammer but no luck. Any thoughts?

Also, I got three of the four bolts removed with not problem but a fourth one broke off. Am I screwed now? If I can get the lower drive off, I was going to try to weld a nut on to the broken bolt shaft and remove it that way if there is enough bolt remaining to weld to. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Pry up that square black plastic cover on top/back of lower unit, wrench down in there to remove zinc trim fin, then up in there another bolt holding lower unit on. Broken bolt will need removal or repair, if it can't be removed, then maybe drill and re-tap for new bolt. Good Luck!

Comment

Google: Yamaha Maintenance Tips Andy, for instructions with photos for water pump replacement....

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Another question; there is a shifter rod that goes from the top half down into the foot. What do I have to do with this when disconnecting the two halves?

Comment

Some have splined shafts that slide apart easily, while others have connections with screws/fasteners to remove, so don't force it apart until you inspect it to determine what's required. Good Luck!

Comment

Zinc trim fin...a bit of corrosion here I think:

The shifter linkage:

Comment

Corrosion there on your zinc trim fin is very good....it's doing what it's designed to do, and looks like it still has some useful life in it. Remove trim tab and look up in there for other possible lower unit bolt. Disconnect shifter coupling so lower unit can drop down. good Luck!

Comment

fleathompson

hello, i have the same engine and have got all the 4 bolts out but sheared the one under the anode, did your leg drop ok after you took the bolt under the anode. my leg is stuck fast i am wondering the sheared bolt is holding the leg in place

Comment

Working...
                X