Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on yamaha 200 engine issues

Dear forum members,

A few weeks ago I posted about yamha 200 1998 salt water series 2 engine having problems. I talked to the tech today and this is what he said.

3 of the 6 pistons needs to be replaced which is what he thought before taking apart the engine. I premix the oil and gas because the previous owner removed the oil tank and hook up to engine. Tech says that is not right but costly to fix and not an issue on this two stroke. My question is how much do you think this will cost and how can it be prevented? He said once he's done its rock and roll time which is great but I'm concerned with a repeat problem.

Thanks experts

I premix my OX66's and never a problem. Were you using 50:1 ratio?
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Yes sir. I bought the boat used there may have been issues previously to my purchase. We took several rides on it and it worked beautifully.

Comment

Matt is the guy a Yamaha tech? From what I've seen, lack of lubrication usually causes a piston to seize and a connecting rod sometimes exits the block. Burned pistons are usually a lean condition. You may have other issues; not real sure what you mean with "tech says that is not right but costly to fix..." Is the tech telling you to install the oiler? Is it rock & roll time without determining what caused the problem? I agree with rodbolt. Someone untrained or not familiar with the system did a hack job removing the oil injection may have caused your problem. Believe you have 6-oil feed nipples after the carbs that should have been properly capped off. If one or more came off, you're sucking air and have an instant lean condition. Keep us posted with developments.
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

He is a Yamaha tech. He's doing more and checking everything out to make sure it will run. The previous owner had it serviced every year so even though the oil is premixed there can still be problems? The Yamaha mechanic is the best in Naples Florida.

Comment

it would be better to keep all of this in the original thread so all info is together, hopefully the moderator will combine them

Comment

Thank you. I haven't been on in a while and I am using my phone and not a PC its tough to use the site on a smart phone

Comment

Working...
              X