Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Yamaha 200 Saltwater Series engine problems

Engine: 98 Yamaha 200 saltwater series 2 engine, 2 stroke outboard

I posted earlier about my engine difficulties. I didn't get the officially model of the engine because it was at a private yacht club where it got towed in by sea tow last night and now towed to a service marina. It is a 2 stroke engine and needs to be mixed with twc-3 oil 50:1. I took it out yesterday with the family for a trip about 45 minutes from the dock. IT RAN AWESOME! At 4500 RPM it ran fast, clean, sounded great and had no problems. When we arrived at the island to anchor we hung out for 30 minutes and then backed out and went back in. We hit the safe operation area and we were cruising about 20 MPH and we heard the engine start acting up (making a different sound and noise than before) and i slowed the boat down to no wake speed. AT that point it was still making that noise and didn't sound right, so i shut it off to check things out. I started her back up and it turned over but was coughing and stalled (prop was down to get water to keep engine cool). I kept trying and it wouldn't turn over at all. we drifted into the mangers and were eating alive by the bugs around sunset. Called SeaTow and an hour later they came out and pulled us in. I went back today to the yacht club where we had to leave it due to the low tides and put some gas into it and it still won't turn over.

Please help, It will be getting serviced but I need to know if it is something very serious if the engine won't turn over. Sounds like a dead car battery trying to start an engine. THANKS!

Check to see if can turn engine flywheel by hand, if can't engine or gearcase could be seized up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Its at a Marina now waiting fornthe mechanic to look at it. If that's the case is it a expensive fix?

Comment

What you did not like the last round of if it is locked up you will have to check things out to see what the problem is so you started a new thread on it?
        See what they find if you can not do it yourself, and see what they give as an estimate. then post back with what they find out

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          What you did not like the last round of if it is locked up you will have to check things out to see what the problem is so you started a new thread on it?
          See what they find if you can not do it yourself, and see what they give as an estimate. then post back with what they find out
          I guess the Marina its docked at is very busy so I'm waiting for the mechanic. Hes the best in naples. Ive been keeping my boat there free of charge so he can look at it. I don't think I have many options of taking it somewhere else lol. I know nothing about engines amyways. I was hoping to get an idea of what the problem could be. I tried to give it some gas yesterday before getting towed there but it wouldn't turn over. I hope its something stupid. The previous owner got the boat serviced every year and it always checked out good. I just cant believe this happened our first time out coming home from a trip.

Comment

ill try to break the news gently.
            you bought a pig in a poke that some other untrained person modified.
            Yamaha never made that engine for US market in a non oil injected model.
            means someone had some kind of issues,normally lack of proper maint, and modified the system.
            let us know what the tech says.

Comment

So basically I will need a new motor or have everything reconfigured to how it should be running. I assume re connecting oil seperate from gas etc?

Comment

Find out what they have to say has happened to the motor 1st and why, and let us know what they say

Comment

Working...
                X