Mechanic screwed up NOW WHAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic screwed up NOW WHAT?

Ok so I was having problems with my outbaord last year it turns out my O2 sensor went out or at least thats what the mechanic said after my $1800 bill. While he was trouble shooting he pulled my VST tank apart and used something that looked like caulk to keep the gasket from coming out. Now the caulk has clogged all my filters. I called today and got a recording that they went out of business a little over a month ago.

I don't guess I have any recorse, Do you think yamaha might warrenty this work? My guess in no.

There is more to the story than this but all the rest is speculation and another $800.

I have a 2000 200hp hpdi
    Last edited by Felton; 04-30-2012, 07:08 PM.

What ever he used in VST would not back flow into all the filters.

More than likely it is coming from tank.
    Drain and clean the whole fuel system including tank and lines

Comment

Let me correct my post. My spin on is fine and the filter on the water sensor is fine, but you can see all the white residue on the filter that is in the VST going into fuel pump (No other debris). The residue is the same as the caulking around the gasket/oring. I am assuming the little canister needs to be replaced also.

I hope my fuel pump is not destroyed.

I guess when they service outboards like that it tends to do bad things to your business and in a struggling economy it proves to be fatal.
      Last edited by Felton; 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

if someone used caulk,silicone,sealant on my fuel system i would let others know who they are/were so noone else finds out the hard way

the white substance you find in the vst/on filter is more likely ethanol breaking up/cleaning the interior of your gas tank
        Last edited by jb123; 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

yes that gray looking dust on the filters can be due to E fuels.
          however, other than vasoline to aide in keeping the vst gasket in place, NEVER NEVER EVER use ANY sealants or gasket glue on the VST.
          no yamaha wont warrenty a technician screw up.
          O2 sensor failues are rather rare and typically dont affect HPDI above 1500 RPM.
          what are your issues now?

Comment

There are white globs on the vst filter. It is the same material packed around the vst gasket ie caulk. The company was Lockwood Marine in Shellman Bluff GA, but like i said they went out of business so no one will be using them anytime soon. I can't get the boat up on plane because of it bogging down. Guess i will just start with cleaning the VST filter and go from there.

The guy gave me back my old O2 sensor. It almost makes me want to replace my new one with the old one and see how she runs.

Oh yeah I use marine gas. No ethanol.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

Need to also replace high pressure fuel filter on VST outlet hose, might also have injectors cleaned to make sure don't have a cylinder running too lean.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can't believe this shit. Similar thing happened to me; that's why I'm always eyeballing these forums, because there aren't any good techs in my area. With the complexity of the new motors, I'm really surprised Yamaha doesn't require dealers to have master techs on the payroll. Believe I remembering robbolt saying there were less than 100 master techs in the country.
                1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

WE all need to learn our motors inside/out by reading this and other forums and keep solution logs if it pertains to your motor. Having guys like Rod and 99 are invaluable sources of info.

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that Rodbolt is the ONLY competent Yamaha mechanic in the world, I heard there was a decent one in Japan, but that turned out to just be a rumor. Makes owning a EFI motor suck bad.

Comment

A huge help is when a problem is solved to follow up on the forum. Lot of guys just kind of fall off the grid and don't post the results.
                      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

last I counted there were just under 300 master techs in the US.
                        I made mine in 2006.
                        its a tough test and just to take the test requires passing 6 other courses.
                        however a certificate doesnt mean you know what your doing,ya gotta have a bit of experience as well.
                        its all about understaning each subsystem of the unit your workng on and how a failure in one affects the rest.
                        then use of proper tools and techniques to solve and repair the issue.
                        not everyone can.
                        it also helps to be passionate about what your doing.

Comment

We all thank you for the help you have given us. Sorry I haven't posted back sooner but I was out catching fish. Which means things are running great now. I am going to order a couple of those little canister filters and keep them on hand from now on. Luckly another local mechanic had one on hand and I was able to install it Wednesday. Just found out he is a master tech and he is suppose to be really good. So next time I know who to take it to.

Heres the master tech list if anyone needs it

Turns out there are at least 6 Master techs within an hour of me. Why did I ever take it to that yahoo

What would it take to clean injectors. Is it something I could do myself or should I take it to someone? I am fairly mechanically oriented I work with my hand and can normally take something apart and put it back together succefully as long as A)I have the correct tools and B)Its not too large of a task and get overwhelmed.
                          Last edited by Felton; 05-05-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

bleed the HP rail,remove the rail,remove the injectors and send them to flagship marine.
                            use new packing on reassmbly.

Comment

Also watch the alcohol intake while working on the motor, things can get confusing.
                              been there , done that

Comment

Working...
                              X