90 hp steering issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 hp steering issues

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the old dry grease out of the steering cable tube on the front of the motor and to grease it? I've heard of cap nuts with zerts, do they work? Where can I find one? Is it possible to install a zert on the top of the tube without interfering with the steering?

Thanks for your help.

Steering Tube

OK, I just installed Baystar Hydraulic Steering on my 98 90HP yamaha. Everthing went smooth until I tried to install the steering control arms into the tilt tube. 1st, I made a drill bit out of a 12ga. shotgun bore brush. I saturated the inner tube with PB Blaster and started to ream it out from both sides. Although it took out a ton of garbage, it didn't get it all. I then took a dowl rod, cut it to a workable length and wrapped it with plumbers emory cloth and started to ream some more. After about an hour, I was able to fit the new steering. A bit more cost than having the steering cable replaced but man does it work great.

Comment

i have used a smaller long drill bit with steel wool wrapped on it
      the zirc fittings are ok or just take apart and grease annually

Comment

Originally posted by campre2608 View Post
        Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the old dry grease out of the steering cable tube on the front of the motor and to grease it? I've heard of cap nuts with zerts, do they work? Where can I find one? Is it possible to install a zert on the top of the tube without interfering with the steering?

Thanks for your help.

I purchased one of those nuts at a local boat shop but they are not here anymore. It was groved on the inside to hold an oring to help seal against the steering shaft and had the grease zert. It worked well in my opinion.

Old grease is not normally the problem it is the rust from salt water that gets into the tube that causes the steering to get stiff or lock up.

I found stiff wire brushes for cleaning heat exchanger tubes worked well on a 1/2" drill motor will clean most of the stuff out, but replacing the tube if it real bad is the best

Comment

Zirk fitting,

Its called a Widget. I have had one I transferred to any new boat I have purchased. Its currently on my 1997 Angler with the original cable. I give it one pump of grease every other outing and its IMHO, a must have. My old boat(before the widget) had the steering cable seize up from salt water...

You'll probably have to remove the cable to clean it out and get it moving again if not completly seized. Pouring some oil down one end and working it back and forth should loosen it up once the majority of old grease is out.

Mine was orginally sold by "Worldwide Marine, PO Box 273843 Houston, Tx, 1-800-747-5976 however that was probably 20 years ago. I still have a spare o-ring for it...

You'll never have another problem with the cable seizing once installed and used....

MARINE STEERING CABLE GREASE FITTING / WIDGET #1- 28251 | eBay
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X