90HP Trim/Tilt Problem (kinda wordy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90HP Trim/Tilt Problem (kinda wordy)

I have a 90ELTG Yamaha outboard. The trim/tilt actuator has the following symptoms:

-The motor is locked in the trailering position
    -Hit the trim up button and the motor free-spins and slowly builds hydraulic pressure (~5 seconds or more). Outboard finally trims up slightly and then I can release the trailering lock.
    -Motor trims all the way down normally.
    -When trimming back up from the bottom, there is free-spin on the motor again, followed by a slow build-up of pressure and the trim finally responds.
    -When the trim cylinders have extended fully, there is another pause (with "gurgling") before the tilt cylinder starts to extend.
    -The tilt will eventually extend fully to allow the trailering lock to be engaged.

-The outboard will not hold any one setting for very long.
    -I've "bled" the system several times using the manual screw.
    -The unit is filled to capacity according to the shop manual.

I assume a rebuild is in order. Seloc manual covers rebuilding the cylinders (new o-rings), but discourages any further disassembly. Is a trim cylinders and tilt cylinder rebuild with new o-rings going to solve my problem, or do I need to dig further into the pump and check valves? Are rebuild kits available for this unit or do I have to order the parts one by one?

Please advise.

Thx.

Terry

Sorry for the additional question. Does the factory Yamaha shop manual cover a full rebuild of the hydraulic unit? The Seloc shop manual only covers rebuilding the cylinders.

Thx.

Terry

Comment

It sounds like you have air in it, if you raise and lower motor by hand(it is extremmly heavy) manualy several times (keep check on fluid when in up position) without using elect. motor that will get air out. If that doesn't work then rebuild it repair kit # 6H1-W0094-10-00, there is special tools required and You will probably need Yamaha service manual

Comment

Does this repair kit come with all needed o-rings, gaskets, etc? What else is typically included in this kit?

The reason I'm curious is that I can't find that kit number anywhere in the Yamaha online parts system for my outboard. If you're totally confident that it has what I need and is the correct kit for my engine, I'll pick it up.

Thanks.

Comment

The Yamaha manual does cover power trim and tilt rebuild and the kit does does come with all orings and seals

Comment

Working...
          X