1989 150 hp oil indicator light and alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 150 hp oil indicator light and alarm

Hi i just got a 1989 150 and the oil alarm keeps going off and diabeling the motor, but there is oil in both tanks ( on the motor and in the gunnel) i think this is probably the sender and when its running the exhaust appeares to have and oil color to it so it think its getting oil, any help on finding the problem? thanks gordie

Put oil in Gas tank (50:1 ratio)just to be on safe side until you are sure the oil system is working.
    Check the oil tank on engine, If oil level is at or below the bottom line on tank then it is oil transfer problem.
    I would suggest taking to your dealer and get checked out. There is a lot of componets that could cause the problem including no oil getting to engine

Comment

Put oil in Gas tank (50:1 ratio)just to be on safe side until you are sure the oil system is working.
      Check the oil tank on engine, If oil level is at or below the bottom line on tank then it is oil transfer problem.
      I would suggest taking to your dealer and get checked out. There is a lot of componets that could cause the problem including no oil getting to engine

Comment

Gordie take the hood off and look on the back of the motor at the big flat box back there, that's your CDI (cover actually, the CDI is the smaller box behind that cover...with a Hitachi name on it). Look at the bottom of the box area and see if you see the harness and plug coming from the primary oiltank sensor,it should have about 4 wires in it (blue/white, blue/green, blue/red...). Sometimes its tucked up under the CDI box cover. Unplug that plug and turn on the ignition key, there should be no alarm sounding. If it's quite with that harness unplugged then your primary oiltank sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. There's methods of troubleshooting the sensor itself but in the end you have to replace it anyway. You can email me at Hamfisted@MyAcc.net if you have more questions. Good luck.

Mike.... Miami,FL

Comment

Working...
        X