Stalling Yamaha F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stalling? Yamaha

Well The shop and west coast tech reports the motor is fixed. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They made 2 triips to the lake ( 100 miles each trip) to sort this out and a LOT of time. . Hopefully they found the cure. I have to give them credit for persistence. Hopefully I can get out this week to test it and do some fishing. Fish are calling. My fingers are crossed. high sierra

Comment

what did they do to finally fix it?

Comment

stalling Yamaha

Hi, well they are a little sketchy to give the details except saying don't change anything. The dealer mechanic was off on Friday the day I picked it up. I have found they set the throttle position sensor at .76 instead of .7 .. The throttle plates were tightly positioned into the barrels of the body. The linkeage was set and reset a lot . They totally disconnected the linkeage while setting the throttle plates. No parts were changed at this point as they had switched every sensor including the ECM (computer) from a new motor. They also had to undo a couple of mistakes they introduced while trying to diagnose the problem . I will contact the mechanic hopefully after testing the motor with a report which better be good. They had the motor a total of 6 weeks missing a lot of prime fishing for me.
        They are a new dealership and I have to cut them a little slack so I would still give them an A for trying, and a B for being prepared. The service manager has been tearing his hair over this but has been very open to suggestions. Their mechanic is being set up for the Yamaha's schools. He's a young guy. I will give a running report after I test it and find out more from the mechanic. This has been interesting to say the least. high sierra

Comment

.7 .76 its all good.
          only thing you may notice is a slight increase in idle speed.
          maybe
          however like I explained before AND its not in ANY school OR service liturature.
          a few the F150 motors will exhibit that off idle stall if the shutters are set up like the manual says.
          what I found in august of 07 on MY F150 is to set all 4 shutters completely closed, then using the stop screw lightly crack them THEN adjust the TPS voltage to about .72V.
          then look at the ISC value on the laptop.
          what your looking for when your done is an ISC value in the mid 40% range,a TPS value between .72 and .75 and an idle speed around 650-700 RPM.
          took me half a day to make mine quit stalling when I first got it.
          ya gotta remember, I use mine for demonstrations and I use it in the marina where I work and I wear a yamaha master technician hat.
          looks bad when my motor was stalling.
          the RTA used my motor last summer to show the other techs how to do it and then I had to redo it, again.
          hopefully they got it fixed with no technician induced failures.

Comment

Yamaha

Thanks Rodbolt, your words of encouragement and help assisted me and them to bring this to a conclusion. I'll know this coming wednesday if it works . They assured me it would. Sure hope so. I'm getting tired of this and so are they. high sierra

Comment

Fixed yamaha 150

After much work by the dealer and my self, the Yamaha 150 is fixed. I took the boat out to the lake and it ran perfectly. The stalling idle and rolling rpm is gone! The west coast Master Mechanic from Yamaha carefully adjusted the linkeage and and finally settled on a TPS of .76. The motor will not run right at the recommended .7 setting . Runs perfectly at .76. The throttle plates on this motor must be tightly closed and done with the linkeage disconnected. The Yamaha master tech got it right. There were a few induced problems introduced by the dealer and myself I'm sure but overall for a new dealer they did well.
              Thanks to all who had suggestions and especially Rodbolt. TADAAA. Lets go fishing
              high sierra
              Last edited by high sierra; 01-22-2011, 02:20 AM.

Comment

one would almost think I know what I type.
                I am 49, got my first chiltons manual which I still have in the 3rd grade.
                other than an a 6 year stint in the USN as an FC and a 6 year stint programming and setting up CNC lathes and mills for GOEX, this is all I do.
                I have no other skills or hobbies.

Comment

49 is that all? you are still a young man
                  You can do anything your heart desires with your determination and common sense, just takes a little reading.
                  I was working on my 50cc Mo-Ped when in elementary school back in the 60's and even some of the others around town when friends parents brought then to me to fix along with some lawn mowers.
                  Things were so much simpler back then.
                  All it takes is reading the proper material, understanding what you read, and the right equipment. A little experience does not hurt though

Comment

problem with experience is, by the time your old enough to have enough to think you know what your doing ya dont want to do it anymore.

Comment

Yamaha STILL DIES!!!!!!!!!!!

My poorly conceived , badly designed YAMAHA 150 has died again. This excuse for a motor ran poorly , stalled and finally quit while out fishing todayl The Yamaha factory tech just screwed up the motor when he put the TPS at .76. This just covered up the fact the idle is botched up when set at the factory setting. Power dropped off dramatically and would hardly hold plane. The tech doesn't know what he is doing other than guessing a solution. After 7 weeks, I am pissed. high sierra

Comment

Man I am sorry to hear of your problem and Yamahas inability to fix it..if they cannot fix your motor they should give you a brand new one..i only read the last page of post..but if the West Coast master mechanic cannot make it run properly they got a serious factory defect issue with that motor. Or maybe Yanmaha could fly Rodbolt in and pay him to fix it, and give him a little much needed vacation. just seems like it would be cheaper and easier to just give you a new motor and take this one back to the factory and figure out what they did wrong.
                        Did they try slightly cracking the shutters and then adjusting TPS to .72 like Rodbolt suggested a few post back?? Good luck

Comment

Yamaha not fixed

Sparkieboat ,yes they did and it didn't work for them. I called the dealer today when I got back and sure, they want to try again. I don't want someone trying to fix it, I want it fixed. Yamaha itself, is of no help at all! Thanks for your supporting words. high sierra

Comment

have you called customer relations at Yamaha?? I would try to get them involved..hopefully you will get the right person who will want to help you out with this...If i ran Yamaha this type of situation would really get my attention and I would want to be made aware of it. please post your results..I have been a big fan of Yamaha for a long time..but something like this could be a **** changer for me, if they fail to resolve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by high sierra View Post
                              After much work by the dealer and my self, the Yamaha 150 is fixed. I took the boat out to the lake and it ran perfectly. The stalling idle and rolling rpm is gone! The west coast Master Mechanic from Yamaha carefully adjusted the linkeage and and finally settled on a TPS of .76. The motor will not run right at the recommended .7 setting . Runs perfectly at .76. The throttle plates on this motor must be tightly closed and done with the linkeage disconnected. The Yamaha master tech got it right. There were a few induced problems introduced by the dealer and myself I'm sure but overall for a new dealer they did well.
                              Thanks to all who had suggestions and especially Rodbolt. TADAAA. Lets go fishing
                              high sierra
                              What happened between one week ago when it was working perfectly and now that would cause your motor to run poorly , stall and finally quit?
                              Does not sound like the motor from a week ago. Could you have put some bad fuel in it?
                              Hopefully you did not just keep running it if it was running poorly,until it quit as that can and will cause major problems to one of these motors if it is a fuel restriction

Comment

Yamaha stalling

99yam40, I took the boat out yestrday to go fishing. 18 degrees and clear. The motor started fine , then I idled out to let it warm up. I have a Lowrance that has the interphase to the motor and can monitor the engine temp , oil pressure and other data. Motor stumbled and tried to stall when I gave it the throttle. The motor ran well to the fishing site. I could only go to half throttle as it was too rough. Later in the day we started back on calm water and the motor stumbled on acceleration and then ran okay. A half mile later the motor started to come down in speed. It finally would hardly plane the boat. I shut off the motor and switched the fuel tank from the little motor to the big motor. Same thing. Limped back 5 miles.
                                The change on the TPS just disguised the idle problem . The problem is still there. It was fresh fuel.
                                sparkieboat , no I haven't called customer service yet. I was hoping the dealer and west coast tech could solve the problem. I think all they did was introduce a new problem......Fuel starvation. high sierra

Comment

Working...
                                X