1996 P60 Idle Overheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 P60 Idle Overheat

Hey guys I’m trying to trouble shoot this problem.

What I know is the impeller is new, cup and stainless plate are smooth no grooves or obvious wear, water pump housing(put new pick up tube rubber seal in) does not look worn or any obvious damage, gaskets are good, thermostat works, new thermo switch. It’s been ran in fresh water only.

Is there anything else I can check?

I’ve found a couple different spec’s on the idle setting. The first spec is 800 +/- 50. The next one I found was 750-850 for the idle in neutral. It had a note under the *****ing rpm column. It said those numbers are for all models except ones with PTT they should be 1000-1100 idle in neutral and 750-850 for *****ing. Mine has PTT.

Which is right? 1000-1100 seems a little high to shift gears, to me anyway.

Before I purchased the boat the previous owner had it into 2 different shops for this problem(and others) and they both thought they figured it out.

In neutral it won’t over heat but in gear it will happen pretty quick. It goes into protection mode.

Also the motor/boat does not have a horn or warning light. I would like to wire in a light for the temperature and I can’t quite sort it out thru the wiring diagrams I have.

Can anyone tell me which wires to use?

Cheers

Mike
    Last edited by MBTracker; 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM. Reason: Pictures added

can anyone help me out?

Comment

May have a blockage in water jackets on engine or water tube between water pump and engine. Idle should be 800 rpm's in neutral. If this is a remote control model then it should have warning buzzer either in control box or on ignition switch.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks.

I've started to think that's all that there is left. Now that I know my idle is correct. Hopefully it's in the water tube.

It's a tiller. So that's why no buzzer. I guess.

Comment

Well Gent’s,

I pulled the thermostat cover while I was running it and noticed, to me what seemed like, not much water coming thru the stat when it opened. It was basically a tickle. Also, which may be obvious to some, the top of the head was clearly hotter than the bottom.(to the touch) The motor was shut down before any overheating occurred.

I pulled the bottom end and sealed the garden hose to the pickup tube and turned the water on. It poured out the thermostat housing pretty heavy.

The next thing I did was seal the hose to the thermostat housing and the water poured out the pickup tube and some other spots with what seems to me very little resistance.

So can I be safe to assume that they water jackets are free and clear? Or was this not a good test because of the water pressure?

Next you can see my set up in the picture. I turned the pump and water comes out of the spots marked with the arrows. The spot x seems to be a small hole which looks factory. Is the water coming out around the shaft (#1) normal? Doesn’t seem like it should be to me.( A closer look shows it comes out of the tab bent up on the cup.)

Any help would be great!!

thanks!

Mike
          Last edited by MBTracker; 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Anyone have any insite on the my last post with the pictures?

Comment

I figured it out!

There was leakage around the cup (#1 in the picture) when it’s in the housing. I put an o-ring in between the cup and housing and that solved the leakage problem.

When I was ordering new parts I found out from a local dealer that if an impeller is overheated, the heat will warp or even melt the plastic water pump housing.

The moral of my story is don’t trust somebody(previous owners mechanic’s) when they say a used part is good because they put it in.

Or don’t try to trouble shoot a problem and just buy all new parts, save your time and except the fact that you don’t know why it happened.

Cheers boy’s it’s trouble free fishing time!
              Last edited by MBTracker; 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Good to see you got it figured out, yea the housing is not always a easy one to figure out. But most of the time there is some kind of signs of melting that will tell you to change it

Comment

Well gents,

I received my new housing and cup. I put the new impeller, cup and housing in.

I did the drill test and it’s still leaking around the shaft labeled #1 in the picture.

I’m totally stumped and frustrated. Has anyone ran into this problem??

Comment

I thought you had it fixed and was not over heating anymore, So you just thought you had it.
                    It maybe normal to have some water come out of there. I have never seen or heard of anyone trying the drill thing on a lower unit while off the motor to see if water leaks around the shaft. I would be looking at the possibility of blockage. Try shooting water up the tube to see if the water flows well through motor

Comment

Originally posted by MBTracker View Post

I pulled the bottom end and sealed the garden hose to the pickup tube and turned the water on. It poured out the thermostat housing pretty heavy.

The next thing I did was seal the hose to the thermostat housing and the water poured out the pickup tube and some other spots with what seems to me very little resistance.

So can I be safe to assume that they water jackets are free and clear? Or was this not a good test because of the water pressure?

Mike
                      Hey 99, yep I assumed I figured it out when I seen the water pouring out around the shaft. I tired that. See the quote from my other post. The flow was pretty good but like I said I don’t know if that is accurate.

Yeah the drill thing… well I was getting desperate and creative at the same time. I had to see what was happening down there. But now that I start to think about it, it’s not going to be showing me what happens because it was on the muffs when I did it.

As of right now I have the old cup siliconed to the old housing and the year old impeller in and it doesn’t overheat. Comparing the old and new parts there really isn’t much difference, at all actually. We tore apart my buddy’s Merc pump and it was a disaster and still pumped pretty good. So I’m baffled.

Comment

MBTracker,

I am curious on what you siliconed together to stop the over heating problem.I have a 1992 Pro60 and have some of the same issues of over heating.I to did much of the same things to cure the over heat problem.However mine is still overheating.After you siliconed pieces together did you have a stronger tell tale stream? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

JIm

Comment

Originally posted by JPJ View Post
                          MBTracker,

I am curious on what you siliconed together to stop the over heating problem.I have a 1992 Pro60 and have some of the same issues of over heating.I to did much of the same things to cure the over heat problem.However mine is still overheating.After you siliconed pieces together did you have a stronger tell tale stream? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

JIm
                          Hey Jim, I put the silicone on the top of the cup and put it into the housing. This did increase the water flow for sure. I was just getting a trickle out of the thermostat housing before and now with the silicone it’s a lot better. This isn't my solution, only a temporary fix. As mentioned by 99 there must be some blockage somewhere.

Don’t test it with muffs. Each time I got a different flow rate. I bought an old plastic barrel and cut it down and it worked great. I actually started thinking back to what I tried and didn’t try. I don’t think I ever tried my new parts with the my test barrel so my problem might gone new I try the new parts. I’ll post results when I try them.

Good luck

Comment

1996 P60 Overheat

MBTracker,

Thanks for your input,I think I will try your method as a temporary fix.Did you silicone the cup so it stays stationary,and did you silicone anything else under the housing? If you could be specific I would greatly appreciate it! I really haven't been serious fishing since Memorial Day weekend and summer is fading fast!

Fenwick

Comment

Fenwick,

Yes I just siliconed the cup to the housing so it basically becomes one piece. You should see a small amount come out around the shaft hole. I used High heat silicone, I don’t think the pump gets that hot but it’s what I had on the shelf. If your gaskets are good then you should be good to go with the temporary fix.

When you have your bottom end off take a piece of wire and push it up the pick-up tube and move it around a lot. My buddy has an old timer boat mechanic and he says a lot of the time that’s where the blockage is. He also mentioned that some motors have a plastic fitting at the block for the pick up tube and sometimes these melt if they get overheated and cause some blockage. He was unsure if my P60 had it. I checked on the OEM parts list and there is a washer plate for my motor.

Good luck and let us know who you make out.

Cheers

Mike
                              Last edited by MBTracker; 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X