T8 analog gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8 analog gauges

I have developed some data I thought might be useful to post here about the interfacing between the Yamaha T8 and analog gauges (Teleflex Amega in this case).

I recently re-configured the console face on my BW Outrage 22 and re-gauged the main motor, an OMC 225 with tach and integral hourmeter, volt, water pressure, water temp, and tilt/trim gauges. I mounted these five gauges in a teak panel on the starboard side of the helm. I have/had a matching teak panel on the port side of the helm and decided to mount matching gauges for my T8 kicker, but substituting an oil pressure gauge for the T/T as there is tilt only functioning on the T8.

Well, here are the results, after working with Teleflex, a local Yamaha dealer and Yamaha parts in Atlanta directly (the dealer gave me their phone number when they could no longer answer my questions; Yamaha wasn't really happy that a mere mortal managed to get their phone number(!)

The Tach/HM and Volt meter work fine, although I'm disappointed I can't re-prop the T8 to get above 4k RPM @WOT.

The oil pressure gauge, according to Yamaha, will not work because even though the OEM sender for the low oil level light is shown as a pressure switch in the Yamaha parts diagram, it isn't; it's an oil level switch. On or off depending upon oil level.

There is a blind plug in the T8 that threads right into the water jacket, underneath the electric choke mechanism. That *could* have worked for either water pressure or water temp senders, except that Yamaha's senders have a 14 mm diameter thread while the opening has a 16 mm diameter thread. Similarly, the adapter for Teleflex senders that Yamaha makes has a thread diameter of 14 mm so it won't help either. The additional challenge for using the blind plug port, even if the threading allowed it, is the low headroom for a sender underneath the electric choke.

We discussed tapping into the coolng system somewhere else for water pressure pickup, but it was Yamaha's firm contention that there ws virtually nowhere else it could be done.

My current plan is to give up on having a symmetrically arranged dash board, and live with the Tach/HM, VM, and Water Temp Gauge. I'll set up a sender for temp by either using a small bracket to hold a sender directly on the head or by epoxying a nut to the head to thread the sender directly up against the head.

FWIW-

John

John,
    Interesting post - sounds like you have gone to a lot work and trouble, and it is frustrating when you can't get to the final result you are looking for.
    On your prop for the T8, what is the max rpm in your owners manual for max hp? If you need to get to a higher rpm and can't find a prop off shelf, why not take your existing prop to a shop and have them change the pitch for you?
    I had a similiar problem with my temp gauge that I added to my C115 - Yamaha had an adapter to mount the sender in the top of the cylinder assy, but then there was not enough clearance between the top of the sender and the inside shell of the cowling - had to cut a relief hole.
    In the heads of my Yamaha there are metal "cups" molded in to accomodate their thermo switches - maybe yours has them too. You could mount the temp sender in one of those cups - I have thought about doing that with my temp sender because it would give me a better indication of motor temp than where it is mounted now.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X