Engine is rebuilt - ready to start -- V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine is rebuilt - ready to start -- V6

I picked up a Yamaha Excel for next to nothing and was going to use it for parts. Come to find out it was in better shape (corrosion wise) than my 1987 200 Yamaha so I decided to spend the money and rebuild.

I'll cover the details qucikly, but I re-sleeved one cyl and had the others bored 0.020", new pistons, ring, bearings and gaskets. The assembly went very quick. I also sandblasted the lower coweling, mid section and lower unit and sprayed with self etching primer (chromate) and Yamaha gray.

I've got it bolted to the boat and fully rigged and I'm about ready to turn key for the first time. I'm planning to run a 6 gallon tank with 50:1 gas/oil for the breakin, but was wondering if there is something I need to do to prime the oil pump. Since the extire unit drained, I'm wondering how long it takes to prime or want can I do to help. The Yamaha shop manual does not mention anything about this. I'm not worried about priming from the primary tank (the big one) to the under cowel tank, I'm more worried about from the under cowel tank to the pump and they to the injector inlets.

Thanks for any input that can be provided.

David M

Open the bleed screw on oil pump and let oil run out for about a minute to get air out. Disconnect the oil link arm and push the oil pump lever to WOT position, start and run at idle for 10 minutes to get all the air out of oil lines going to cylinders.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X