View Single Post
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe99 View Post
Yamaha never met a part it did not like to change. Gives the engineers something to do I suppose.

If three parts are needed to do a job then Yamaha will use five. Or more.

Is this the Yamaha way or is this Japanese way of doing stuff? I don't know.

Might be the Japanese way. I read that industry in Japan wanted to get some military/aerospace contract work but the quality of their data (see Yamaha as a prime example) is so poor that companies outside of Japan were not interested. People don't want to buy stuff if there is nil support to service it or maintain it.
You have to look at BMW motorcycle VS a Yamaha cycle. Want to talk about WAY OVER ENGINEERED???

One engine they make has a spin on oil filter (that needs a BMW tool to remove), that is Literally, UNDER/INSIDE a crankcase cover. You have to pull 6 bolts to remove the cover(and get soaked with oil), then spin off a CARTRIDGE. The worst of both worlds...

CCT on several engines. Hydraulically tensioned with oil pressure.. Problem is, when cranking, little to no oil pressure, cam chain jumps a tooth, major engine damage.

I do have to admit, Yamaha OB's are considerably more involved to maintain than their bikes. The bikes, mostly are bullet proof, beat the snot out of em, they keep running. OB's way more INVOLVED maintenance...